Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

rear speaker conundrum

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gil2, May 3, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys i`m gona buy the cd1`s and was thinking about adding an extra rear speaker for the yam rxv450 and prob move the original centre to the rear and add the ....er cant rem the number now , but its another canton anyway to the front to give beter centre audio
    ok that said and done , my rears will NOT be in line with my ears as i sit , but maybe 2 feet further back , will this interfere with the added centre rear and make it useless ? i have looked at the dolby web site for positioning and the rears on all settings are near enough in line with the ears , which i cant achieve , plus i want to be able to supply equal audio to those sat near the rears , rather than for just one person which the dolby site rather points towards
    [​IMG]

heres a diag of my room layout and its damned difficult to position speakers if i use the top sofa , i can put speakers direct either side of seating position but have no room for the rear centre back speaker

and if i use the bottom sofa the speakers will have to go about 2 feet further back on either side of the sofa but i will be able to use a centre rear , positioned on a stand maybe

whats yer thoughts about
    1 loosing the added affect of a centre rear bearing in mind the speakers will be set back from the seating position and
    2 any thoughts on speaker placement in general with a room this awkward

also what is the smallest size cable i can get to connect my yam to my sky dig+box telly , dvd and dvdr , as the picy shows my telly which has these bits of equipment underneath it behind glass doors is no where near my seperates cabinet , so i`m more than likely gona have to run the cables back and forward to it , or is that just impracticle , in which case i`m gona have to try and shoe horn the amp under the telly , which then brings on heat issues , hahah it seemed easy at first just to want to add proper surround , but its getting harder the more i think about it

my ed hurts :lease:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I would consider dispensing with the front centre speaker entirely and positioning the M73's either side of the television facing into the room. You could then put your "normal" rear speakers where you indicate the M73's are with the centre rear in the remaining corner.

Corner placement is never the ideal but there are plenty of ways around it. :)

3. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm a good idea m8 , BUT , the wife will not allow me to move em , plus theyd look pants sat next to the telly , asthetics are a big part here , if it looks bad , she will stomp on my fun

your comment brings on another question m8 , isnt a centre necessary then ? , surley if i do away with it , i`l loose the sound from speech wont i ?

or a better idea , how about a truck load of u experts come round , we`ll have a cupa rosy or maybe a vodka or 2 and then yall do it with me , hahahah , now that would be good :clap:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A centre is good if your speakers are fairly widely spaced but if they're crammed right up next to the display then it doesn' add much to the proceedings. :)

5. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody else got any other thoughts on speaker placememnt

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Are you keeping the 73's with this setup ?What are you doing with the cd1's ,are you adding to the speakers you allready have?
    I would keep a centre speaker ,you can use it without but i never sounds the same even with the speakers either side of the tv.

7. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no bob the 73`s are being kept for audio cd`s only and connected to my nad amp , i dont want to bring them into the mix with the surround stuff , i have been messin with positioning on and off for years and still cant seem to get there with various other surround speakers , now i have realy bit the bullet and bought a proper amp and i am damned if i can find the right spot for rears let alone fronts , barring in mind asthetics are hugely important , she dont want speakers stood out and looking ugly , such is the way of the wife :mad:

my telly is in my sig and has pro logic and i was messin last night with where to put the rears yet again , ok it`s mono at the back at the mo but it was just a test night , the sound was nice from the bottom sofa with the rears set a foot or 2 back from there , but whoever sits on the other sofa at the top gets no effects , so now i`m thinking is it possible to string 2 speakers from rear left and rear right and have 2 sets of rear speakers set up either side of each sofa ? or , would the sound from each pair interfere with the overall effect

with regard to the centrespeaker , luckily the telly has many different sound settings , one of the settings enable the telly to use all the onboard speakers of the telly as a centre speaker , so that will maybe save me having to put a centre on or under the telly , that aside it still leaves me with a headache for positioning fronts and rears

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1) Get a plasma tv (unless you already have one) and put it above the fireplace
    2) Put the M73's either side of the fireplace
    3) Put the centre speaker in the fireplace (I assume you're not using it?)
    4) Get some mordaunt short 903 wall mounted di-poles (£100 - superb for the money)
    5) Sit back & enjoy!

DT