Rear speaker cabling & mains interferance?

DOW24

Standard Member
Hi All, thanks for reading.

Am just in the middle of an electrics rewire of the house. The Electrician has run mains cables (for lots of lovely new sockets) in a recess round the bottom of the wall, which will eventually be covered by new skirting board.

I was planning on running my surround sound speaker cable in this recess too, along side the mains cable. I have no idea whether this is a good idea from an interferance perspective - does anyone have any thoughts or experience? My GCSE physics knowledge has deserted me (though oddly I can still remember how to make a rudimentary electric motor :) )!

Thanks in anticipation.

D24

GW43

I've had speaker cable running next to mains cable for a few metres and not heard any interference, but it's one of those "received wisdom" thingies that says it will make a difference.

Try lining up a (powered up) mains lead next to your speaker cables, and turn up the volume control (with no input selected) and see if you hear a difference when the mains cable is moved away.

If you can't hear a difference, then there should be no problem.

Unless someone points out that a speaker wire carrying a signal behaves differently to one that isn't carrying a signal in terms of its susceptibility to interference. If that's the case then it goes beyond what I know!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom