1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speaker Advice - rear & centre Rear

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pabs, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Pabs

Pabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peeps

Right, as my system stands at the moment audio-wise I have:

Pioneer 811s 7.1 amplifier/receiver
    Mission M74i floorstanding front speakers
    Mission M7c2 centre speaker

b&w 601 s2's on the rear - Although this is about to change

I want to get some beech mission speakers to match the front of the room, and also thought about hooking up the centre-rear channel as I havent started using that yet. I want something relatively good, but quite compact as I dont see the point in big rear speakers.

So far I have been thinking of getting the Mission m30i speakers for my rears, and either an identical pair for the centre rears, or hook up a mission centre speaker for the centre-rear.

If it makes any difference, they are not being bi-wired (although the fronts are) and all the speaker cable is QED silver anniversary cable, which i dont intend on changing.

Realistically, I dont want to spend more than £100 a set of speakers ($192) as again, i dont see the point. I have sold my b&w's as they are too big and they didnt match the rest of the system. Just waiting for the guy who bought em to come pick em up!

Any opinions/help/tips is gratefully appreciated guys.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The M3 range will match the M7s that you have fine as they were designed as the exact replacement.

There are many that argue that bi-wiring doesnt make any difference to the sound (other than by effectively meaning you have better quality cable attached as it is twice the thickness) and so I doubt you will have any problems with not bi-wiring the rears.

I have never understood the reasoning why people would use a centre speaker for the rear of a 6.1 setup - the centre are designed to be optimal with dialogue which you rarely get from rear speakers. I would go for a second pair of speakers which will allow you to have your 6.1 setup and give you a spare speaker should you decide to go for a 7.1 setup in the future.

Another consideration would be using bi-pole speakers (either for just the surrounds or surrounds and rear), something like the M3ds or M7ds. If your priority is for films then these generally will give a more encompasing sound but if your priority is multichannel music the directional nature of mono-poles is generally considered better

3. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astaroth - I have seen the specs of M77ds & M78ds, where does the M7ds spec fit in? Is post 78ds or pre 77ds? Where would you place them - side or back wall?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The 77ds and 78ds were designed to fit in with the 77 and 78 series, likewise the M7ds was to go with the M7 series.

As far as I am aware the M7 series post dates the 78 series (though both series were made at the same time) however both have since been retired and the M7 series replaced with the M3. The 78 series was of a 'higher' series than the M7 (details are in the archive on the mission website under the M70i range)

If you follow THX recommendations you would use bi-pole speakers as the surrounds which would go on the side walls and then use mono-pole speakers for the rear. Personally due to the convenience of the bi-pole speakers I have used 4 (2 on the side 2 on the rear)

5. dgaavl

dgaavl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, maybe I´m wrong but as far as I know, THX recommendations specifies that surround speaker´s must be di-polar, not bi-polar.

Di-polar speakers: The speaker generates two sound waves to the front and rear out of phase.
    Bi-polar speakers: Both sound waves are in phase.

They work in a similar way but there are slight differences.

You can get more information at:
    http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/knowit/speakers/speakers10.asp

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    tsh, that took a long time to correct that error