1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear sides hanging from the ceiling ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mad Max, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now what do I do ?

I'll have an L shaped room, with the rear of the HC in the crossing of the 2 sections.

Having a DENON AVR-3801, I'd love to use 7 speakers. The back center would be on the wall, but the back sides would be either on stands or...

Is it possible to hang speakers from the ceiling ? I was thinking of steel cables (like the ones often used for halogen lighting) holding a platform with the speakers on it. I've got some hesitation concerning vibrations. since it would be hanging 1.5 to 2 meters from the ceiling, I don't know how this would affect sound. Has anybody tried this kind of setup ? With what results ?

Cheers

Max

2. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    giving it another shot...

Cheers

Max

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,425
    I'm in the same position as you, but I guess that not many people have done this. I'm looking at locating 7 centre speakers from the ceiling, but I have no idea what it will sound like and I'm more than a little concerned.
    They will each have a tilt and swivel bracket securing them. It means making holes in either end of the centre speakers, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.
    It may be worth you contacting Rod Keith at Stands Unique (www.standsunique.com) who has lots of experience in mounting speakers and shelves in unusual locations and ways.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Hi,

Haven't tried that exact trick but I've put quite a few systems in with in or on ceiling speakers. On this site you'll see an install on an oil platform I did that used some bi-polar on wall/ceiling speakers.

We placed them on the ceiling to get maximum coverage over, what was, a large area. It worked much better than I would have imagined! The systems where we've used in-ceiling speakers for rear and side effects have still been good although I think they would have been better with on ceiling units.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Gordon

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got nxt loudpanels for the sides for my 3801, have a look at them they arent bad

Mike

6. bighairy

bighairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably don't want to hang speakers on wires. All of the best theory on speaker design aims to connect the speakers as firmly as possible to their surrounding. Whenever a speaker cone moves in one direction, the body of the speaker tries to move in the other direction. When this happens the sound coming from the cone is altered slightly. Generally speaker boxes are heavy and cones are light so the box doesn't move much, but the more firmly the box is held, the more precise the sound is. Most HiFi buffs will say that if the speakers aren't held, the sound localisation goes and the detail is reduced. That's why you can spend such a fortune on good stands for speakers. Hanging a speaker on a wire is probably the worst you could do (from a HiFi point of view) but I guess for the slightly cruder effects from surround speakers it wouldn't be fatal.

I have a pair of Mission 77DS dipoles mounted very close to the ceiling on my side walls. I chose them because they came in white and look very discrete high up on the walls. It was quite easy to run cable up the cavity wall and out directly into the speaker and very few people even notice they're up there.

7. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gbb... That was the basic feeling I had, but wanted to see what you guys thought. The theory is sound, and therefore I will look for a different solution to my problem. Since I haven't built the house yet, I have FULL freedom to think of new solutions.

Thanks

Rui :cool: