Rear projections with game consoles

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Splinter, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. First up thanks for all the input you lot put into these forums, really helped me out during my first foray into home cinema.

Anyway I went down to Comet today to check out the 32" widescreens as it's about time my 17" got put to rest. I want to get into DVDs more and beef up my Xbox games. Gotta say i wasn't too impressed with them, guess i was just expecting to be taken a back with the increase of screen size but they just didn't do it for me.

So behind these stood the 42" Toshiba RPs - now that's the stuff ;). Really impressed with them, picture seemed pretty good, no reflections and of course the screen size.

I'm just wondering how they look with a games console plugged in. Are the games crisp and sharp? With the picture being blown up to an extent i'm just a bit worried about this.

Just a few other questions...

- Think I'll be after either a 40" or 42" 100Hz. Have the 40" been discontinued? Can't see them listed on the usual websites(empire direct etc). Bit confusing when i see them listed on the oshiba website.

- Also some sites say the price does not include a stand, I'm assuming the ones in comet were without a stand? They were floor standing, didn't notice them on any stand.

Thanks for any help. Think i've finally found the right TV, just need to find out their console perfomance.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I have seen a couple of BIG TVs with consoles on them and they pretty much look the same as normal TVs (plasma with PS2 looks sweet). Just remember to buy the proper AV kit for the X-Box. The picture will obviously be larger, but you should also be sat further away so you won't notice the stretching.

3. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    with rp a games console burns pixels at a higher and faster rate, i had a sony rp, i connnected it with my gamecube and ps2 but sooner than 6 months after purchase the screen went from dull, to black screen. I dont know if it was the tv that was functionally broken or the fact the console burned the pixels.
    i am now happy with my kv36fs70- but i play with my console on my tx21ck1 both are great tv sets but i'll go with the sony.

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. after reading quite a few post on the problems with burning I reckon things should be ok. Just need to be sensible and mix up the game playing and TV watching.

Think i'l probably go order a 42WT29 tomorrow or tuesday if all goes well.

Found this picture earlier, gave me a good idea how the xbox looks on it, really impressive on this 53".

http://souljuh.org/xbox/pictures/1.jpg

5. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter,
    I've decided on the Thomson 44" RPTV myself - personal preference over the Toshibas which I find have a very annoying band of brightness which moves about dependant on your vertical viewing angle.

I contacted Toshiba tech support when I first considered RPTV's and they emailed me that they do not recommended the use of games consoles with their RP's on account of screen burn. However, many people here have NO problems whatsoever. Maybe just the tech ppl absolving themselves.

Also in favour of the Thomson for me is that one of the factory default picture settings is "Game" - kind of speaks for itself really.
    Only thing I don't like is the only SVHS socket is under a panel on the front of the TV :-(

Good luck with your TV

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just brought my XBox back from a friend's house, he's been using it on his Tosh 46" RP TV - superb picture and superb games machine!

We also hooked it to a projector via composite, but I've not got a VGA output for the XBox and will be trying that later this month.

All the best,

John.

7. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mugi - Heh getting me a bit worried there about the tosh, got mine on the way to me for the weekend. As you said though lots of people on this forum don't seem to have a problem so it should be ok.

Sym - Great stuff, what were you using to connect the xbox to the tosh? I'm not really sure what i should be using - I have the official RGB Scart at the moment.

Cheers

8. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter, I was going to ignore them anyway and use a console on the Tosh - but I still think it makes sense to turn down the brightness and contrast when using the console - can't hurt to be cautious.

I'm interested in your choosing the Toshiba as everytime I look at them in a shop all I see is this darn bright band that moves up and down when I bobn up and down in front of them (looking odd no doubt).
    Now, I know I'm not going to watch a TV bobbing up and down but I can't find a seating position where the band disappears.

So, have you noticed this? I
    t's most noticeable on the 42" or 43" I've seen. I did see a 51" and couldn't make it out. Anyone else know why I see this and why other RP's don't suffer it?

Do you have a PC? I'm very interested to see how my PC with Svideo output will fare when fed thru the TV....

9. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mugi, can't say I saw any bright bands or problems with the picture - I was really impressed with it. The one I saw was the 42PW23 which was actually on display next to a thompson. The thing that put me off that Thomson, was all the reflection on the screen, the tosh was reflection free. I'm guessing Thomson put a plastic/glass protector over the front of the screen. Not sure what model number it was though.

I saw the same Tosh again in currys next to a 100hz tosh which made me buy the 100hz version - you can really see the difference, both pictures again were fine from what I saw. Could have been a bad batch when you last saw them.

I'm pretty new to AV stuff so i'm not quite sure how Svideo works but yeah i have a PC. If I can work it out I'll try it.

10. grahamd

grahamd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mugi, be very wary of the thomson if its the 44jw611s.
    you mention bright bands of light on the toshibas, the thomson suffers badly.
    anything shiny on a darkish background will display a light band as thick as the object across the right hand side of the screen, be it dvd, vhs, or normal tv.

mines going back for a refund, if only the inside was as good as the outside this would be one helluva tv.

for more info check out this months what vid & tv, they review the 44tw611s.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    @ Splinter

It depends how long you will be playing games on the telly.

Games consoles cannot be recommended for RP's as static images on the screen for long periods of time will cause screen burn. 2hrs a day every day will soon add for example and that's a lot of burn time.

If you mix it up you will be burning the screen evenly and therefore may not cause any apparently visible damage. It'll still be there or be happening.

If you play consoles often you would be better off using a small CRT to be on the safe side.

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Splinter:
    the advanced SCART lead from Microsoft only for the Tosh RP.

For the projector:
    http://www.lik-sang.com/

Although I've still to see if XBox can do this with a simpler lead....

All the best,

John.

13. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham - thanks for that. I'll read that review, but I think it's the 65US I've seen and after tweaking the picture I was more than happy with it.

Splinter, the bright bands are on every tosh in every shop I've seen and sadly, since noticing them, I can't fail to see them every time now..... which is a shame since prior to noticing them I thought the tosh 42" were a great picture.

I suppose screen burn is going to be, for me, a case of keeping it in mind but not worrying too much about it.

OK, here's a stupid question - can you use light gun type games e.g. Time Crisis with RPTV? I reckon yes, but someone somewhere once told me you can't..... anyone know?

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Any 100Hz telly will not work with Light Gun based games.

As far as consoles are concerned screen burn is the one thing all RPTV manufacturers warn against with these. It's also a bit obvious when it does get burned in the screen as the evidence stares out at you ! Bit too late then to claim on the warranty.

If that sort of thing doesn't worry you ??? then fair enough I suppose. :rolleyes:

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've had a Tosh RPTV for over eighteen months now and have used it with both PS2 and X-BOX and there is no sign of screen burn at all.

John