1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear projection

Discussion in 'TVs' started by shaunthedude, Feb 16, 2002.

1. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,

i just bought a panny RP tv which had a fantastic picture for about 2 hrs. It then went allsorts of colours so it went back for a replacement. All i want to know is. Can i buy a RP tv, plug it in and watch it without tweeking it for a no of years and still keep a super picture. Some threads on hear say that you have to keep ajusting the thing every couple of weeks. Im a complete novice when it comes to tvs so would I be better sticking to a normal tube set.

2. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your gonna be primarily watching DVD's then I prefer rear projection myself. Basically when you get the set the first thing you do is turn down the contrast down from the "torch" setting which the manifacturer set (usually maximum). Turning contrast down will help erradicate burn in and is the proper way to watch your tv.

When you get the set its perfectly safe to set contrast, brightness, colour, tint and sharpness. Use an Avia Video Essentials DVD to do this, its essential and well worth the $40 it costs from Amazon. As far as convergence goes you should let the set warm up for about an hour before adjusting convergence. There is then a "burn in" period of around 100 hours at which point you should only need to touch up convergence and then leave it pretty much permanantly. Doing all of this will get the optimum out of your RPTV.

Alternatively you can just leave all of this and you will still get an amazing picture, especially with DVD. But at the very least I would urge you to buy the Avia DVD. As I said it really is essential if you want to get the best out of your TV.

Btw the fact that your first TV broke sounds like its nothing to do with you unless you went into service menu's and stuff. Otherwise it was faulty to start off with. Tweaking or no tweaking it would have broken.

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, very kind of you. one thing. when the picture went all multi coloured i opened the convergence menu. menu one(one cross hair in the middle) was perfect. menu 2 when you get 9 points around the screen also looked ok. I went to no 1 and pushed the left button once. Then the red cross apeared behind the white cross but the red one was bent. It was therefore impossible to allign the red cross behind the white cross. Also at the bottom of the screen there is no picture. just red green and blue splodges starting at the bottom of the screen and going about 4 inches up from the bottom. Any ideas???

cheers matey

4. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds possibly like the convergence board broke. It can happen with RPTV sets unfortunately, although its very rare. A word of advice - if you are going to perform convergence DO NOT use the 9 point method. If the panasonic rptv is like my toshiba then it should have a 64 point convergence option in the service menu ? Basically its always best to do the 64 point convergence rather than the 9. Much more precise and reliable. I'll check google.com for you and find some info on the service menu for your tv if you like ? Or you may already be very familiar with it.

Let me know. :D

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trust me to get the dodgy tv. Ill wait till the new one arrives and take it from there. Basically, there were 2 options for convergence in the user menu. one was just 1 crosshair in the middle of the screen. the other was the 9 points around the screen. When you ajust convergence should it be easy to get it back to normal. ie. all you have to do is align the blue/red crosses behind the main white one and you will have a good picture or is it more complicated than that. suppose i knocked all the cross hairs out of allignment and the screen went allsorts of colours. would it be easy to get it back to normal?? Should the crosshairs stay straight?

thanks again

6. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which TV do you have specifically ?

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panasonic TX42PT10

8. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hrmm, I've had a look around and can't seem to find anything definitive regarding the service menu for your TV. I wouldn't like to tell you something which may mess your TV up so I'll reserve comment, but obviously if anyone reading this has had experience with the service menu on the 42" panny RPTV feel free to help. :D

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    feel free to make any suggestions as this tv is getting replaced so i may as well try a few experiments to fix it.(except opening it up)

10. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you could try this -

---------------------------
    To change the overscan,you have to enter the service menu.Turn the bass to full/treble to minimum/press index on the remote at the same time as the -V(volume) button on the tv. Use the red and green buttons to cycle through selections and yellow and blue to change the settings up or down. To reduce overscan you have to change the horizontal amplitude,followed by STR on the remote(hidden under flap).Reducing HAplitude means you need to reduce the Vertical amplitude to keep a sense of proportion.Reduce it by less than the HA though.To alter the position of the picture change the H-Pos,followed by STR.When you have finished making changes press N,(on remote under flap).Only press it ONCE,as twice will change the tv's settings back to the factory preset.Don't start messing with things in the service menu,as you will probably regret it.good luck.
    ----------------------------

I presume there will be a convergence option in there, why don't you have a nose around in there ? :D

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried all that last night but it made no difference. looks like there must be somthing wrong with the guts of this tv. One question though. On any rp tv, when ajusting convergence, those cross hairs should all be straight shouldent they?? It also should not be a major job to ajust this. Surely if you go into convergence and move the cross hair 5 pushes to the left so its out of line, All you have to do is push it 5 pushes to the right and you picture is back to normal. This is not so on this set ive got at the minute. Thanks again for your help on sturday. it is much appreciated.

One other thing I have just noticed. On the green convergence, I can not line it up with the notches on the side of the tv. It is about 2 inches out and will not move any closer to the notches. It will move further away though

12. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have had the same problem with the convergence and have posted here for help, the problem with mine is in the one point convergence the green cross hair won't line up with marks on the tv(vertical) .The only way I can watch tv is turnning the scan mode to progressive and I get a clear picture.I''ve complained to Sound and Vision and someone is coming this week to check it out.Let you know how it goes.I only have this problem with a pal picture as NTSC dvd's and games will work in 100 HTZ and scan mode.

13. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is there not any way you Panasonic guys can access a 64 point convergence grid on your tv ? If not thats a real shame cause it really is so much more accurate than 1 or 9 point.

14. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HBK757, in case you haven't read my private messsge:

Is there a 64-point convergence setting for my Toshiba 42WH18B? - I only currently have access to the 9-point setting.

If there is, then I'd really appreciate it if you could tell my how to access it.

Thanks.

15. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tk2001 - Sorry about that...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/toshiba/servicedesignermode.html

That site is your friend :D

Once your in convergence mode using the following to converge/move to a part of the screen -

2=up
    8=down
    4=left
    6=right

3=change crt gun to which you want to adjust. (red,green,blue)
    volume up on remote=save convergence settings. (screen will implode momentarily)

A tip - first converge the RED to the GREEN. Then turn the GREEN gun off and converge the BLUE to the RED. Then turn all guns back on and make any final adjustments.

I hope this has helped, anymore problems gimme a shout.

Oh btw a tip - DO NOT adjust the green gun too much if at all. If it looks pretty good to start off with leave it. Adjusting this green directly effects the geometry of the set and can mess it up. Also DO NOT mix and match between the 9 point convergence in the standard tv menu and the 64 point in the service menu. Stick to one or the other.

16. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HBK757,

thanks for the link.

Are you sure that I can access the service menu on my 42WH18B? - the website doesn't mention my TV model at all.

Provided I follow the guidelines on that link, Is there any danger of damaging my RP TV set?

Lastly, I've managed to get the best convergence setting using the user 9-point setting. Should I continue the 64-point convergence with this in mind? Can I default the setting somehow?

Thanks again for your help.

17. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    tk2001: H/HX81 is the US version of WH18B, so it could work on your TV too. Try, if you dare...
    As long as you don't change anything you should be quite safe. Write down any values before you start tweaking though.

Wait a minute: PS2, Gamecube and Xbox!?! Couldn't decide or what? :) You're not worried about burn-in?

18. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    LOL......I know what you mean, having three consoles is a bit excessive.

As for the burn-in, I do try too make an effort not to leave images that are static for a long time i.e. on Halo there are on-screen displays that you can't get rid off, so every 15 minutes or so I pause the game for 5-10 seconds to get rid of the on-screen displays and then resume the game. Hopefully by doing this, I can reduce the chances of permament burn-in.

19. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HBK757,

I've followed the instructions on that website and I've managed to get an 'S' to appear on the top-right hand side of the screen but I don't know how to get the 64 point convergence to appear. What do I do?

VERY IMPORTANT: If I change any of the settings on the service mode, does this void my warranty?

PS: Do you live in London? If you do then maybe you could help me out? - I'm very bad when it comes to adjusting TV or AV equipment.

20. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um press 7 on the remote and a menu should appear listing PAL/NTSC modes which you can adjust. When you want to adjust one use the volume up button on the remote to select it. Changing values in the service menu will void your warrenty although every set has different defaults so an engineer would never know so technically I guess it doesnt void it. I suggest you write down every value in service mode in case anything does go wrong. Better to be safe than sorry.

21. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I mix and match between the 9 point convergence in the standard tv menu and the 64 point in the service menu?

If I started to use the 64 point convergence, does that mean that I can never go back to the 9 point setting?

PS. If I manage to get the optimal picture in the 64 point convergence, would I still have to reconfigure for the different display modes? i.e. cinema mode, widescreen mode, 4:3 mode etc?

22. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding mixing the 64 and 9 point convergence - I read somewhere that its bad because they act slightly differently from eachother and will not produce the same results if they are both calibrated - ie. changing 9 point after doing a full 64 point will effect the 64 point and knock it out slightly. Plus 64 point is WAY more accurate than 9 point. But don't worry, doing both will not break your tv, I would just strongly reccomend sticking to 64 point where you will get much better results if you put the time in.

You must perform convergence for EVERY mode - ie. PAL 4:3, PAL 16:9, NTSC 4:3, NTSC 16:9. It's unfortunate but thats the way it is. :( Just make sure that when you configure for each mode that the TV is in that specific mode playing a source (DVD for example) in that mode.

23. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are unsure, don't touch! Get your dealer in.

24. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed with the post above. Its unlikely but not impossible you could mess the tv up when messing around in the service menu. You gotta know exactly what your doing.

25. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Via the service menu can you.....

Disable some of the aspect ratios (the ones I will NEVER use) so I don't have to toggle through so many on the remote.

26. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope you can't.

27. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LAUREL

i got my 2nd panny 42 rp today. pic is great so i am not going to touch convergence again. 2 questions for you.

1. when i watch any programme with black bars top and bottom there is a slight bend in the bars. tha last set was the same. is this normal.

2. the picture is perfect so i should never have to touch convergence. true or false.

cheers matey

shaun

28. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Funny, (maybe not) because I have seen exactly the same geometry problem on a Panny 42" in a shop here in Sweden.
    The picture, or rather the black bar at the top, kinda "smiled" at me...

This geometry problem can probably be corrected, but you'll need to dive into the service menus to do it.

29. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaun

Not exactly. You didn't describe the bend? How slight is it? Does it bother you? Most of these can be tweeked easily from the service menu. I had to move my picture "up" slightly as the black bars were bigger at the bottom than the top. No bending though on mine.

Well.... false really.

Although the picture probably looks ok to you, I would say that the convergence is more than likely out.

I can understand why you might be a bit wary of this now - but don't forget - there are 2 convergence options are on the SETUP menu accessible by anybody from the remote. Panasonic put these here as they know that convergence will need adjusting from time to time. The service menu is another matter, and if you are not confident stay out of here, but you should be able to check out the two user convergence settings without causing any problems.

Here's a summary:

- Start with convergence 1. Get the green cross centred with the notches in the side of the case, then allign red, then blue. Once you are happy with this;
    - Check convergence 2 (9 point), and allign the all points around the screen. Always do blue last.
    - You may notice that blue "blooms" around the white cross slightly (especially at the edges of the screen). This is normal.

Don't forget to let the set warm up first (about 1hr) before changing.

You WILL get a better picture after doing this. For the die hard tweeker (like myself) the service menu has a 64 point convergence which takes A LOT of time to adjust, but gives mega results.

All the best.

Let me know how you get on with the 7th??? set :eek:

Cheers

Laurel

30. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    (1). I agree, since we use subtitles (normally white text on a black background) here in Sweden, it's easy to see that convergence is out on ALL RPTVs. (If not adjusted correctly) It can be much harder to spot when watching a movie with no subtitles.

(2) I have seen this blue "blooming" also, especially around subtitles. Yesterday I saw it on a Thomson 52", but I would like to know why, and can anything be done to minimize it?

Thanks