Rear Projection, whos got one?

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am leaning further and further towards a rear projection TV set, after having a play around with the Samsung 42" SP42W5HFX yesterday. The picture in the store was very impressive and viewing from too high/low or too far left/right seemed to be pretty good.

There seem to be plenty of sets around at under £1500. mostly between 41" and 44". I have found a Thomson set with a discount of over £1000, its 52" and under £1500!!

Anyone heard of it? THOMSON 52JW641S 52in 100HZ SILVER

<<<Click>>>

Are Thomson any good? I can't find a review of the set anywhere. It seems such a bargain, which makes me slightly wary.

So which sets have you guys any experience with? The rear projection picture quality seems to have come on so far with ones I have seen. Maybe I am better going for a Pana/Tosh/Sony with a smaller screen for the same money..........

Dazed and confused, please help, thanks in advance

Anthony

I have had 3 makes of rp set. Panasonic which i was not too impressed with (once i had seen the others that is). I then had a tosh 42wh18b. Thsi was a great set with a super picture. However, it packed it. I now have the Sony KP44px2. FANTASTIC picture quality and very good looks. check out the thread sony kp44pxs should I get insurance. Ihave no experience with thomson or samsung.

I have the Samsung 42" RP TV and I'm delighted with it.

It's fed RGB from a Skydigibox and a Toshiba DVD, with S VHS from a JVC VCR, and the results are generally terrific.

It's also one of the very few RP TVs to have space underneath for a DVD or VCR and if you set up the graphic equalizer properly, it sounds pretty good too.

Downsides?

A 42" picture will show up any blemishes on tapes or transmissions fairly cruelly and you need to make sure the convergence settings are spot on - but that's easy.

Also I can't find any way of making it switch between 4:3 and 16:9 automatically, try as I might!

You need to press a button on the remote, which is a nuisance.

But still a most impressive piece of kit.

I have a Tosh 40WG08B and am very pleased with it.

Stunning picture quality, providing you feed it with good source material.

Due to being a in a pretty bad location for terestrial digital and not wanting to pay sky their ridiculous prices I am only using Analogue for my normal viewing plus DVD of course.

How do these sets cope with a regular analogue signal?

Thanks for your replies so far, keep em coming .

I only have an analogue signal and its a poor one. my tosh picture was a very good picture and I was very happy with it. HOWEVER since I went to the Sony KP44PX2 I find the picture much better. It is less grainy and looks more like a crt tv picture rather than that of a rp set.

I receive a good analog signal and it looks fine on my Tosh RP.

I quite often watch football matches on analog ITV in preference to the sometimes poor compression quality on ITV Digital.

To be perfectly honest, I have not yet seen a digital broadcast picture of equal quality to a good analogue picture!

Every person I know with Sky/On/ITV etc, whenever I have watched it, they always have bad pixelation problems (like a JPEG that you tried to make bigger). And the movement on screen allways seems un-natural somehow. Is this because they don't have 100htz TV's or am I getting confused?

newbeetle

I researched the market for a month or so before commiting to a Toshiba 42WT29 rear projection.

The picture is just out of this world, crystal clear, sharp and very life like. This set has two great points, it has an IDTV tuner and it also has built in Dolby Digital. Hooked up via component to a DVD it's awesome, I simply love this set.

If you live near Worcester you are welcome to take a look and evaluate it yourself.

Wayne

Wayne, thats a really nice offer and would love to, only thing is I am up here in Cumbria. I will look into your set and let you know, toshiba models seem to be listed under various model numbers on the price running sites, so now I know which one is good, I will check it out.

Thanks again for the offer.:)

I started of with various CRT's, 32"/36" then upgraded to RPTV, the 44" Thomson was my first set, but due many replacements due to a grey bar fault I changed to a Toshiba 56", best thing I ever did, size does matter, :D You don't get the look of a CRT, what you get is cinematic pictures, big, bold and beautiful. ;)

beetel,

im in Northumberland (alnwick) idf you want to see the sony kp44px2

shaun

Cheers Shaun, might talk you up on that if I am headin that way.

Wayne, does this look a good deal ?

Toshiba 42WT29B (Free SD125e & V752uk)

£1425 inc vat and delivery (plus the free DVD and VCR)

Looks pretty good to me.

Just to pick up on the analogue vs digital debate, all my TVs are now fed with digital signals from RGB or component sources and there is no way I'd go back to analogue.

I find a lot of the complaints about digital are not so much about the transmission system, but the various digital processing devices on individual TVs.

On all my set ups, the only digital processing I allow is 100Hz, and all my pictures are bright, sharp and clear, with virtually no unwelcome artefacts.

Where I would support analogue (Yes I know it's a contradiction in terms...) is that NICAM stereo piggy backed on analogue, is much better than the new digital sound broadcast through DTT and some satellite braodcasts...

But I guess that's progress...

I paid , 2050 from empire direct for the tv, dvd 220e and same vid player with 3 years warranty and a £70 component cable, so i would say yes a very good deal

Wayne

Wayne, if I do finally choose this offer, I am gonna get Empire to do a price beat thingie, should make it a little cheaper still 120% of the difference:cool:

My wife seems quite keen on the toshiba, and I think it looks pretty damned cool.

I notice the mags reviewed it earlier this year but I guess its too new to be on the websites. I know I should buy the back issue really, but it would be really goodif someone could summarise what the reviews said, or even better scan in the pages and mail em to [email protected]

Thanks

Ok, so the review from what video and TV (oct2002) says the tosh has a soft picture? Anyone on comment on this? This is quite a big purchase for me and I really don't wanna be disapointed.

Wayne? Anyone?

I know most reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt, and the best way is to get a real audition preferably in my house but its just not practical.

Sorry for late reply, been away a while.

Not sure what is meant by a soft picture, in my experience the Digital picture has been crystal clear and certainly excellent.

The only downside being that analogue broadcasts are poor on my TV as are VHS movies. However, this may simply be that the Digital pictures are of such quality that they show up the limitations of analogue signals.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

I watched an old b/w film on vhs last night on my Sony PX2. The picture was still clear and crisp. Just as good as my previous sony crt tvs.

shaun

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom