1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear projection. Who's best? Tosh or Sony?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by petergeorge72, Oct 7, 2002.

1. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm about to trade in my Toshiba 36" Strata for either the Toshiba 50WT29 or the Sony KP44PX2 but don't know which to choose.
    So guys and gals...what do you think?
    The most important thing to me is picture quality. I'll be watching from a distance of between 9 - 13ft so in theory I would have thought the Sony would be a better option at this distance. However, the Sony doesn't have component sockets to use with my imported Pioneer 606 DVD player and seems to be a 'basic/no frills' rear pro set.
    Your opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Pete.

2. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeterGeorge

I think I've replied to one of your threads earlier. Depending on where you are in Kent, you're welcome to come and see my Tosh 50WT29 in a "normal" setting (rather than a showroom!)- I'm near Rye. Email me direct if you wish to take me up on this. I can't comment on the Sony as I don't know it, but the Tosh is excellent as far as I'm concerned - and the sound is brilliant too!

3. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for this and your earlier reply PA28. I live on the Kent/London borders so I'm quite a long way away from Rye. It would be great to come and have a look at the 50WT in everyday surroundings though, so I might take you up on your offer. I tried emailing you thru the site but it won't allow me to do so.

In the meantime, I have a question. I really like the picture and sound on this set but I'm really concerned that it might be too big for my living room. How far are you from your TV? I'd be watching from a minimum 9ft to a maximum 13ft distance. Also, I know that DVD's look great on these sets but what about normal everyday TV? Will I end up with eye strain or a headache?
    I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

Pete.

4. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, been away from the site awhile. No problems with distance - we have it in a lounge roughly 25' x 11'. Nearest seat is about 6' and my seat is about 15' away. A little brightness drop off horizontally (not enough to worry about unless you're alongside the set!) but quite a lot vertically. I would imagine that the optional stand to house a VCR/DVD and bits may make the set a little too high for your average settee.

We receive a signal from Dover transmitter. The digital decoder in the 50WT29 is brilliant and means we watch terrestrial digital with very few problems (where our earlier Nokia box failed miserably). This is just as well as our analogue signal is poor and the 50" screen really shows up the warts. Sky is no problem (apart from the large amount of 4:3 programing).

In short I don't think you have a problem, but your choice! I will check out the email link.....

5. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .............. private message will work. I remember that I knocked out the email liunk after being deluged with spam from another site!