1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection v Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neilferguson, Oct 13, 2003.

1. neilferguson

neilferguson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Sony 50” LCD Rear Projection TV and was thinking of getting a Pioneer PDP-504HDE.Please can you tell me if the picture on the Plasma will be better then than the Rear Projection TV and if there are any other good or bad things about Plasma TVs I should know about.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm sure nathan will be along soon with his views but I've just changed from a 40" Toshiba RPTV (that I was VERY happy with for over two years) to a Hitachi 42PD3000 plasma so I know what it's like to have both.

A well setup RPTV (and mine was as I'm a stickler for good picture quality) will give an excellent picture and, for that matter, so will a good plasma.

Is the plasma worth the extra cash? - well I think so. It takes up far less space than the RPTV (obviously) and, to my eyes, the picture quality on mine is at least as good as the RPTV. I'm not really concerned about screen burn, no more so than I was with the RPTV.

The plasma also has the definate wow factor that the RPTV didn't. Everyone who comes to the house comments on the plasma where most just thought the RPTV was a huge monolith. I'm sure that some would say that the plasma is more a lifestyle statement but I have absolutely no regrets over my change to plasma.

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Setup is just as crucial on plasma as RPTV, if not more so, there is no 'softness' of the picture to hide any poor quality, they wear their installation on their sleeve, so to speak. But the 504 has a 1st class processor in the media box, which helps. Over all, not a lot in it aside from the obvious things, like intrusion due to being the size of an small truck, poor performance in bright rooms, poor viewing angle etc. etc. Where are you Nathan?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here.:D The guy has a LCD RP though, which I don't think much of. In fact my local dealer had the same one (Sony 50" LCD RP), it didn't have great picture quality at all.

So equal to a decent Plasma then.:devil: :laugh: