1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection TVs

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rjs1974, Apr 2, 2002.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are these better or worse than CRT TVs??

Assuming I had digital TV as opposed to analogue, would it compare favourably with CRT?

How does DVD playback compare too?

They seem much cheaper per inch than CRT TVs. Why??

Thoughts please?

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    YES they are better IMO and i've had a few TVs in my time.

'Digital' meaning IDTV? then there shoul dbe no difference, not sure what you mean here.

DVD looks SUPERB, but you MUST use RGB SCART or component if your DVd and TV support it.

Don't know why they are cheaper, probably because there no glass tube for a start.

3. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant Sky Digital for example, rather than analogue TV.

Is anologue picture quality good too?

Do RP TVs suffer from dodgy geometry in your experience?

You would rate them higher than CRT TVs? Why?

Cheers mate!

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Both Digital & Analogue TV look fine.

The quality of Digital can vary somewhat and sometimes look worse than analog (especially football). Obviously with a larger TV any flaws will show up bigger!.

Analog quality depends on the reception you get, mine looks OK.

I have never had to adjust the Geometry on my TV, but I can't speak for other makes.

I rate them higher becsue I like the 'cinematic' feel it gives to the picture. The 100Hz processing is the best I have ever seen on ANY TV. The screen is a matt finish, no reflections and the picture is CRYSTAL CLEAR.

I have had it since December last year and it still never ceases to amaze me.
    I watched Flah Gordon DVD yesterday and I was just in awe with what I was seeing. Not the film itself, it's corny as hell, but the colours and clarirty of it have surpassed anything I have yet seen on DVD. It is now my new 'demo disc' to show off the pic quality of the TV.

Basically there are probably only two manufactures to chose from with RPs....Toshiba & Pansonic. Toshiba edges it with the picture quality. Make sure you get a 100Hz model as this makes a BIG difference.