1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection TV's

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Vila, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Its coming up to my 21st birthday and my last year of uni.. I really quite fancy buying a big tv for my bedroom

Now clearly a plasma would be ideal but i dont think i can justify blowing £2k on a tv and anything under that price i wouldnt really touch (ala grundig)

Having a look round 36" CRT's seem very very bloated and heavy and not even that cheap, however many of the Rear projection sets seem to be getting sold off for under a grand now. Seen sony 42" for £700 Samsungs around £600 and even are rather slick DLP lg for £1500 (although think this is also noisey as well as expensive)

If i was to get one of these it would have to be 16:9 but most of these seem to be 100hz. Whenever i see 100hz crt sets the picture looks processed smeared and crap - can 100hz mode be turned off?
    Also would it be a bad idea to order one of these from one of the online dealers (who have excellent deals) as im concerned about recieving one with a bad geometry etc. I'd be using the set primarily to watch ntsc region 1 dvds but also a fair amount of tivo, - any advice as to which sets and buy would be appreciated.

2. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Vila.

its true with projection tv that you get a big screen for little dosh, you can get a 42 or 52 inch screen for not much more than a CRT.

have a good look around these forum pages before you decide, i wish i did the responce has been great. look at the model you wish to buy and type it in the search link above.

concider that not only do you magnify the good, but also the bad parts, so small irritating things on a normal TV will be huge on a rear pro. shop around there are some good deals to be had, i have a toshiba 42wh36 its quiet and does produce a good picture (watch for smear in center of screen) and although there have been reports of poor convergance (the red, green and blue mixing accurately) i honestly have had no problem with that in mine. it will accept all regions and has component for progressive scan if your DVD will through it out (again pal or ntsc).

search for Demons brilliant instructions on how to tweak your TV if you take the plunge, its simple and makes all the difference.

if it was my money all over again, i go for a front projector, why have 42 inch when you can have 6 foot for the same money!! look out for the panasonic pt ae500 and themescene gear all good for around £1200.

good luck its a jungle out there!! :thumbsup: