1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear projection tv's: transporting

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by turner, Dec 28, 2004.

1. turner

turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am planning on buying a 43" rear projection TV, likely a Samsung, but have heard that they are very tricky to transport. Is it true that they absolutely must br transported upright? The Samsung SP42Q2HLX is quite a bit taller than others on the market and wouldn't fit upright in even a large estate. As I move about a bit, not being able to lay the tv flat for the move means i need a professional to move me every time. I'm thinking i may have to get the SOny as it is not nearly as tall.

any advice on transporting these TV's would be much appreciated.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Yes you do need to transport a rear projection unit upright, this is also true of plasma screens. You shouldn't need proffesional movers, just two people (to help lift the unit) and a transit van which you can hire for around £40-50 per day. I have done it a few times with no hassel.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Turner,

Provided you keep it upright, moving a RPTV is actually easier than a large CRT set, because it is much lighter.

You must protect the fragile screen, of course, so I hope you have the original packing.

In case you're wondering, it's the liquid coolant in the projection tubes that causes the problem if it's not upright.

Hope this helps. :)

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I threw all my packaging out, so I wrapped my set in blankets and duvets....lol. It did the job.

5. turner

turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that does indeed help. I had a look at the packed article and although it is fairly light (for something that big) it's rather bulky and definitely not going to fit into my Jeep upright. and as its a tight squeeze thru the corridors of my apartment block, I'll let the professionals handle this job!

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I thought that you can lay them down, I am sure we have done so. Perhaps this was just the older models.
    Nigel

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Although we have in the past laid them screen down (because they would not fit upright in our transit size vans) in our vans, I did ask our bench engineer and he said it was not advisable, as one of the previous posters said.
    Nigel

8. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the fluid will cause problems when it leaks onto the circuit boards. Rear-projection sets are strictly one-way-up.