1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear-Projection TV's lifespan: Is it short?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tk2001, Nov 25, 2001.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I've just recently brought the Toshiba CRT 42WH18B rear-projection TV and the picture quality is the best I could have hoped for - DVD pictures like The Gladiator are phenomenal and the PS2 and the Gamecubes games looks equally as great!

However there is one thing that I'm very cercerned about and I hope that it can be clarified by someone who knows the facts.

The problem is (and this goes with all CRT rear-projection TV's), is that I read that the general lifespan of these TV's are shorter than conventional CRT TV's - the 3 CRT tubes/bulbs behind the TV screen (red, green & blue) burns quicker than convention CRT TV tubes - is this true?

If this is true, then I how long (years or hours) does the 3 tubes/bulbs lasts, and much does it cost to get each tube/bulb replace?

Thanks

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on often you use or abuse your tv then the lifespan is the same as any other tv and at least five years.

3. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Acording to an enginneer that works for toshiba they quote the expected liftime of their sets as follows:-

CRT Tube = 6000hrs
    RPT = 4000 hrs

So yes RPTv expected life is slightly shorter, but in real terms you should not need to worry.

Regards

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those numbers to sound rather short .

the understanding that i have is that the tubes in a rear po set last longer than the tubes in a front crt bases projector .
    the tubes in a front pj are said to last 10000h and over so 4000 sounds far too short too me

in the long run it all depends what you do with the tv . realy the best thing is to use it in a very dark room with no light falling on the set . this way you can run the set at lower brightness and contrast levels .

use somthing like videoessentials or avia to set the con and brighness , then you have a better idear of if you are pushing the tv too much

ather things to take in to mind are . don't leave the tv with a still image displayed for any length of time (just put the set in standby if youneed to pop out the room ect) be very carfull with contast levels when playing games and finaly watch out for logos on didgital tv (these can burn in to the tubes and be permenent).

there are a lot of rearpro sets out there that have been around for a very long time . just be aware and don't push the set too it's limits

5. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The numbers do indeed sound rather short, but this came from the horses mouth so to speak!!

Maybe I should have qualified it by saying the "Minimum Expected life" is ............

Regards

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm sure if you are talking minimum life you could probtake that number even lower

you could get nasty burn in the hundreds hours of use if you where stupid (as some shops seem to be those poor tvs what they do to them) leave a static image on at high brightness and contrast for any length of time and you will be left with somthing not even worth watching star wars ep1 on ;)