1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection TV- What to buy???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jonboy180uk, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jonboy180uk

jonboy180uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have recently had a nightmare with a certain internet retailer. Bought a Toshiba 42Wh36 about 10 months ago. It was my first rear projection TV and I struggled with the convergence as I could never seem the picture to stop bleeding blue on the right side. Eventually I reported the fault and after much to-ing and fro-ing, and various engineers coming to look at it, it was decided that it would need replacing due to a tube fault. The retailer in question really dithered over this for about 2 months, but eventually they did indeed swap the set for a new one.
    Once delivered this is where even more problems started. When I came to patch in all my cables and scarts, to my horror there was no component input.
    Yes despite the fact that I had bought the 42WH36, they had replaced it with a 42WH46. And despite pleas could not replace like for like as they no longer sold them. I have had screaming matches down the phone with these people and appear to be very near to a resolvement of actually getting a refund.

Which is where I need help, I have looked on this site many times to come up with a rear projection TV that people have liked with component input. The big contender appears to be the LG - RE-44SZ21RD. I am slightly worried about the rainbow effect and will endeavour to view one at the weekend to establish whether I can see it. I do a certain amount of quality control on tv material in my job and am very sensitive to artefacts etc.

My budget is an absolute maximum of £1300 inc delivery, and I want a minimum screen size of 42'', and obviously 100hz, and this is the biggy it has to have component input. I know everyone's views on this but it is solely for my DVD player. I bought a separate DVD player from my DVD recorder with component output for this sole reason, and really could do with some advice about a posiible best buy and any deals that I may have missed.

The retailer in question also wanted to swap this TV for one that had the specifics I was looking for but when I suggested the LG, he laughed down the phone at me, and said that they didn't sell the LG's as they were so bad, not that I take his opinion to mean anything to be honest with you.
    So here is where I am stuck.
    The TV doesn't have to be an RPTV but with my budget may be the only way forward.

So suggestions???

2. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Jon,

I'd get your money back and try to get another 42WH36. I know they are rare now but Argos are advertising them in their sale for £879.99.

If you get a good one they are terrific.

Best of Luck

Cheers

Paul

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with that.

If you can get a 42WH36 get your money back and get one. They should have told you that they could not replace the WH36 and given you the option of repair of you original set. They have been negligent and you should get a refund. Take it as high as you can.

The WH36 is a cracking telly picture wise and I doubt you can beat this for just £880. Try and get one of you can, it is well worth it.

Also a note about the blue bleed or flare. It does tend to look worse than the other colours when you set up the convergence - it seems to be a trait Tosh's have on their RPTV's so you will see a a little bit of flare on blue convergence.

If you feel confident check out Demon's guide (see link below) to get the best focus/convergence from the set but I'd advise that you don't go through the routine for at least a month to give the set time to settle down and burn in properly. Mine took about a month to settle down and I think this is a normal length of time from what I have read.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97056

Read it through first - it is a lengthy old procedure!

4. jonboy180uk

jonboy180uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great guys, thanx for the advice.
    Had a quick look at the service menu thread, doesn't look too difficult.
    I did like the WH36 but feel wary of the Toshibas, probably cos of the bad experience I've had.
    I'm going to go and check out an LG for rainbows at the weekend anyway, although a little concerned about the lamp on a DLP, not as much life expectancy I believe.
    My options are pretty limited I think, did have a look at argos website and there appeared to be a difference between stand and no stand of like £100. I've had the set and can't think for the life of me what the stand can be. It is one floorstanding unit as far as I am concerned. Is it an extension of some kind?

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No there is a stand option as well. There was one for the 51" but the tv would have been so tall I didn't bother with it.

I can appreciate you are put off by a bad experience, but I can tell you that it's worth persevering. Once you get a WH36 looking like it should there's nothing to beat it at the price.

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got the stand under mine. I bought it separately from Empire Direct for about £70.00. It comes flatpacked and raises the TV off the ground by about 10 inches. Just enough room for a slimline receiver, Sky box, DVD player and VCR. I much prefer the viewing postion on the stand.

I recently tried progressive scan DVD plaver on this TV for the first time and it is superb. I didn't think it would make much difference but it did.

If you shop around you could get this TV and the stand and also a full on 5 year warranty for about a grand. For peace of mind and big screen thrills this is tremendous value.

7. jonboy180uk

jonboy180uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from a recce on these RPTVs.
    Found one place that will sell me a Toshiba WH36 for a grand. More than I paid for it nearly a year ago, with no stand, so not that impressed really.
    Most places no longer stock them despite their websites saying that they do.
    Kind of disheartened so went to see the LG up close and personal, and got to say was pretty impressed, if I can find a deal that I can afford I'm sorely tempted. Can report back that I did not see rainbows.
    On the way home was passing Comet so popped in and was blown away by the Saxem Axium, Jesus that is a nice set, sure from the outside it looks shoddy, but the picture is really good. Couldn't believe the array of inputs either, it was £2000 in Comet, not including the stand (another £300 for that).
    Really confused as to what to do now.
    Anybody know of really good deals out there on any of these now. I haven't ruled out the Toshiba WH36 if I can find one, but these DLPs look damn fine.

Dilemma Dilemma!!!

8. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Haven't Argos got anyWH36's left?

9. emilios

emilios
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you have a look at Sony's KP44PX3 - it looks absolutely stunning, picture quality is up with the best CRT RP there is, it's priced within your budget and screen size, and has already received fantastic reviews from UK magazines.

10. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. jonboy180uk

jonboy180uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need to call Argos to check stock on the WH36, but after seeing the LG I'm definitely swaying towards that I think.
    The Sony is no good Emilios cos it has no component input but thanks anyway for the advice.
    And that was the best price I could come up with for the LG too, just under £1300.
    Still waiting for the phone call to arrange pick up of the WH46 (the sooner the better). Then out to get a replacement, maybe it might be best to wait for the New Year Sales??? Now they're so close.