1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection TV IRL

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SimonG, Jul 9, 2002.

1. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at a 36" CRT set but they are just too bulky for my living room. My options are a 32" Pixel Plus Philips or a 40 or 42" ish RP TV.

I don't know anyone with an RP telly and the showrooms are only of so much use at getting an idea of how one would behave in the real World.

I'd be interetsed in the views of any who has had one as to whther the picture is too wishy-washy, how it is affected by sunlight, how does VCR output, TIVO output and Sky Digital output look on it as well as DVD.

Anything to share?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have a Toshiba 40" RPTV and would recommend it to anyone.

DVD looks fantastic (connected to RGB scart using individually shielded cables), Sky Digital is very good for the most part (bad picture quality being due to the signal received rather than the TV). Video is not so good - the large size of the picture shows up the limitiations of VHS.

Hope this helps

John

3. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These tvs are acceptable for every day (all day) use in a normally lit room?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I use mine every day for watching TV through the digibox with no problems, even my wife is happy with it. I've had it for eighteen months now and can't imagine going back to a smaller CRT TV now.

John

5. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the sony KP41 for a little over a yr now and have to say its a very good tv....it anoyed me for the 1st month due to convergence problems..but i think this was more my fault playing with it before the set had warmed up

when u run every thing thru rgb the pictures are very high quality and life like...i find thru the normal scart they look a bit fizzy and noisy on reds...rgb also helps convergence when setting up with a thx test pattern.

6. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Toshiba 42T29B about a two weeks ago and all the family love it - especially for watching films on either Video or DVD.

In my view the picture is exellent and can be viewed from a much wider angle than I first anticipated.The set is in use all day for watching "Sky" programmes and again the picture IMO is exellent. Sunlight has less effect on it than my old Sony 29" set and the picture in general is "razor" sharp - in particular on DVD`s. Being so much larger you can also view the set from much further away if you so wish.

Hope my comments help you in reaching a decision.

Cheers.

7. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen a Toshiba WH42 set in Comet. Very bright and clean, but a couple of things I noticed. The colour didn't seem as rich as a Philips CRT next to it, the four corners seemed somewhat darker then the center and the BBC's "Press Red" logo was quite fuzzy and shadowed. I think it would be a struggle to read something like TiVo's programme data with the sharpness of that screen.

Are these inherent problems with RP or just set up?

(I reduced contrast from 100 to 40ish and brightness from 90+ to a mid value and tint to -15 and things looked a little better...)

Simon

8. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably just set-up. I have contrast set at 50,brightness at 35 and colour at 50 and I still feel that the set-up is possibly too bright and colourful and could be reduced.

BBC "Press Red" logo is sharp and clear!,however I would agree that RPTV`s are very difficult to assess properly in a shop and I was rather dubious myself until I saw one properly set up in the local Comets. It was set up on a shelf approx 3 feet off the ground which enabled me to see it as if I was in a sitting position.You will also appreciate that they are a different beast from CRT`s with different characteristics.

I was originally going for the Toshiba 36ZP18P CRT set but changed my mind after I saw the 42"RPTV set. Also had a look at the Phillips "Pixel Plus" set but did not think it was as good as the Tosh CRT. I do not regret my change of mind.

If you decide to buy the Tosh RPTV,I suggest you go for the WT29B as they are the latest model and include all the "Free to air" channels which the WH18B does not. The picture also improves with good quality "Scart" connections - but this applies to all sets.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in choosing a set - whatever type you finally decide on.

Cheers.

9. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually went back and although never having seen such a set, found a "convergence" menu lined up some crosses and the picture was 100% better. I then buggered around with colour as well and got that better. The picture still wasn't quite as sharp as the CRTs nearby but the size of it next to a 32" impressed enormoursly. I can imagine that having it sat in the corner of the living room is pretty damn good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

10. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Also saw the Tosh 42WH18B in Comet and was very impressed - I had no idea RPs were so close in qulaity to CRT. I am a Sony FQ victim and looking for a replacement TV. May well go down the RP route.

Any more comments on RP greatly appreciated - this is a big investment !

11. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find anywhere with a big selection of RP TVs, post it up here - it is rare to see more than one displayed at a time.

Agree about the pictures on them though - quite a revelation.