1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection Tellys

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by feck_on_a_stick, Dec 30, 2003.

1. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone. Been seduced by flashy LCD and Plasma tellys for ages, but when it came to getting one my budget just wont stretch. Then I discovered how far RPTVs have come since seeing them taking up half a pub!!! Know **** all bout how they work, and seems to be very few to choose from but have to admit I like the ones Samsung are selling, picture for price and looks. Local electrical shop is doin the 42' (think SPW43W4...?) for £989, and Currys are doin the 43' (SP43W6HPX) for £1249. Im a bit in the dark if the extra dosh is just for the extra inch and the people in the shops really dont seem to have a clue about what they are. Can anyone show me the light????? or even advise of something better around this price? For seem reason I havent warmed to the Toshibas that people have been talking about on the other posts. Many thanks in advance for any help. oh and happy new year too!

2. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 42wh36p is your only job.

42 inch widescreen, NTSC/PAL progressive scan etc., top of the range set for reasonable money.

I went across to a friends house last week and he was showing me his new LG 42 inch plasma. Looked lovely initialy but for a number of reasons.

1. Excessive smearing whilst watching Telewest. Not apparent on the Toshiba
    2. Picture is too small on the LG plasma. You can have a thin 42 inches or a wide 42 inches. The LG was thin and the thosiba was wide.

For these two reasons I have to prefer the Toshiba RP. Note, these two reasons do not apply to all plasma, but from my experience of LG plasma sets.