Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rear Projection Televisions

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Xbox360_Junkie, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys...

Im thinking about treating myself to a "Rear Projection Television" for the first time. It's going to be fitted into my new loft conversion whish should be happening fairly soon. I've been browsing a variety of websites, and I fancy something along the size of 40" - 50". However, I have noticed that mostly all of the rear projection televisions I have looked at come in 4:3 Widescreen modes. Being a newbie to this scene, i don't know in detail the difference between a standard 4:3 and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. I am being put off from buying a rear projection television for this exact reason. I am after a fairly large screen, larger than most standard factory widescreen televisions (i.e. 28" and 32"). I shall be hoping to use this rear projection television for mostly watching DVD's, playing games consoles and just basically watching television. But what i don't want is the black boarders around the picture whilst watching widescreen DVD's etc.

Basically, im just asking for a little bit of advice. Would a rear projection 4.3 widescreen ratio be suitable for my needs? Would i be able to watch widescreen DVD's without the hassle of having the bold black boarders surrounding the picture (like im used to on my current 21" TV). Would i have any problems hooking up a games console or generally just watching TV. I would just buy a huge plasma widescreen TV, but they are far beyond my price range, I'm limited unfortunately to approximately £800 - £1000.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thankyou

Kind Regards :clap:

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you on about. Rear Projection Televisions are widescreen... I've never seen one that is 4:3 (Well, maybe BACK in the day...)

1K is a bit on the low side, I don't think I have seen a Rear Pro for that little before... Stretch it out to about 1400 and you can get a brilliant Samsung 46 with the HD4...

I still love HD2+ but that'll cost you extra cheese.

3. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638