1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection Startup Times

Discussion in 'TVs' started by eglons, Nov 27, 2004.

1. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've asked this in other threads and also tried to find out from the web but to no great avail.

I'm in the market for a new TV, Rear projection seems to be the ideal choice for us as we've got lots of room for it and would like a 40+ inch screen, but the budget will have to be under £1500 all in.

The thing which puts us off is the time it takes the set to come on when you press the on switch or the on button on the remote. The issue is basically that the kids will not hang about for 30-60seconds for it to start up and the buttons will be worn out with them constantly pressing them thinking they've not done it properly.

So how bad is it really. I tried turning the LG 21Z DLP model off in the shop and times it at 50seconds to come back on... is this normal for all Rear projectors or am i not doing something correctly.

If this really is standard then I've got no choice other the 36inch CRT which seems strange given the way the market is advancing.

Thanks in advance

2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    on the toshiba it takes about 20-30 seconds for it to come on with full brightness but comes on dimly before this.........but has a setting for if you turn it off then back on its almost instantly

3. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sagem is 23 seconds .

Alan

4. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I assume the Tosh and Sagem are both DLP models... are normal Rear projections any quicker ?

5. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the LG RE-44SZ21RD in Curry's. Switched it off and then back on using the remote and it came back on instantly. Didn't leave it off for too long though so don't know how long it would have taken if it had been off for a while. Plus that was only in standby mode, didn't try and turn it off at the switch.

6. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I powered it off and left it for 30 seconds... 50 seconds to come back on !

7. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    it will only be DLPs that are slow to turn on, old CRT RPTVs will be as quick as, well, Direct View CRT TVs (eg 5 secs).

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 1-year old Tosh 51" CRT RPTV, I notice it takes a few secs to turn on and off but would have to say i don't think its longer than 15 seconds. I'm notoriously impatient and the TV turns on in a similar time to my amp (Yam 750).

If you can find one I thoroughly recommend the 51wh36, you should be able to get one for under a grand...but they've been replaced by the lower-specced wh46 units now so are harder to find.

Component inputs, internal 50Hz progressive scan...no auto-convergence though and it takes a while to bed in which annoys some people.

9. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lion, Thanks for you input. Here, I'm asking about rear projection full stop, not just the LG set as there appears to be a difference.