1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection : Screen "burn"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by thestorm, Nov 25, 2001.

1. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

i'm posting this on behalf of a friend.
    Basically he owns a Toshiba 41' rear projector tv.
    He bought it, ex demo. It seemed in VERY good condition
    and during a 30min demo.... we found not a single fault.

But when we brought it home, whilst watching a dvd, we noticed
    that the screen had "burn marks". Such as DVD player controls
    buttons "shadowing \ burnt" into the screen permanently.
    eg play, next track, eject" etc.

It's very obvious in scenes where we are watching bright white
    areas or where there is a "sky" scene.

This is very annoying as it obvious we were "conned" :eek: and purchased it on a "sold as seen" basis.

So it's not like we can take it back. The company also advertises in HCC mag!

As a solution can anyone advise how we can get his problem fixed? is it just a case of replacing the screen ? or is the problem a lot deeper? Could the problem be with the projector inside?

btw I own a crt - Panasonic 36PF10 i've had it for over a year and a half and it's a DREAM :) But doesn't have the impact of a rear projector.

So any advise regarding the purchase of a 2nd hand \ ex demo rear projectors would be helpful... this is until we finally buy affordable Plasma's.

Cya,
    Shaz

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problem is not with the screen . the problem is the tubes . the only thing too do would be too replace them (this won't be cheep)

my advise on buying an ex-display rearpo is not to . these sets have usualy been left on for day after day after day all day with the contrast and brightness set way too high . somtimes even left for days displaying a static image . these are things that you just do not do with a rearpro set. you would be better off getting one second hand from a hc fan that ex-display.

if you are still thinking of getting one though the best way to see if it has any burn is to have them play a full white screen and look verry carfully for any patches . these could look like things like buttons ect or like smudges . if you see anything that don't look good then walk away . this is the only way you are going to check it propely .

don't let them fob you off by only letting you watch fast action and dark stuff befor you buy . if they won't let you look at a full white screen there is probably somthing wrong with the set . take somthing along with ou like the avia or video essentials disk. if you aint got one then get one they are realy needed to set up you kit right

good shopping:)

3. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Squid

Many thanks for u're advice.
    I'll pass on the info to my friend.
    Do u have any idea how much it may cost to replace the
    tubes etc?

Shaz

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of screen burn, my new Hitachi 43"er should be here soon. Just wondering, if I'm watching a anamorphic DVD with a 2:35:1 ratio, will this create screen burn?

Cheers,

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    diferent aspect ratios can burn in but this only tends to happen if you you watch the same aspect a lot

the part of the image you are using will ware at a diferent rate than the unused ( black bars) part of the picture tube . this only tends to happen realy if you are watching stuff with black bars all the time for thousands of hours . the same gos for people watching lots and lots of of 4:3 on a widescreen with black bars down the side

son't think that watching one or two 2:35:1 films on a 16:9 or 4:3 for that mater rearpro set . it is rather gradual and takes a long time. (if you are keeping at resonable brightness and contrast levels)