1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection screen advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ChrisHeaton, Mar 19, 2003.

1. ChrisHeaton

ChrisHeaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just bought a Panny AE100 and need a screen to go with it, projecting on to my flowered wallpaper does not do justice to the projector!

Because of the shape of my room, long and thin, back projection would be ideal. Could anyone recomend a good 8ft * 8ft screen, manual pull down.

Also what problems can I expect with back projection compared to front projection.

Thanks Chris

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You should be looking at going for a 16:9 screen with the AE100, so you don't want a screen 8 x 8 ft.
    Cant say how good rear projection screens are but one I did see at work was pretty poor contrast, I think the projector has to be pretty bright, which the AE100 is not.

3. ChrisHeaton

ChrisHeaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, the screen will be used as a 16*9 but I have an archway in the centre of the living room which will make the top 18" of the screen useless.
    regards Chris

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If you order from the above site they will add extra black drop, I did this as i wanted my screen lower, so i added an extra 12" drop, this way you can stick to a 16:9 screen.
    I went for the Da-lite modelb 80" wide in 16:9 with 12" extra drop, Price £255 delivered.
    IMHO I would pay extra for the black drop, instead of going for a 4:3 screen.
    I believe you can add more black drop than this if you require.
    See photo.

Attached Files:

5. ChrisHeaton

ChrisHeaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there may be a problem adding black drop onto a rear projection screen. I think it may work out cheaper just having more rear projection material than black material added. Or so the company I ordered from seemed to sugest. One company quoted over £800 for this size rear projection screen! The company I eventually picked quoted about £250 delivered.
    Regards Chris

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hope it all works out then :)