1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection or 'Normal' 36"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MarkH, Nov 24, 2001.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post.....

I am about to buy a new TV and cannot decide between a 'Normal' 36" widescreen or a 'Rear projection' of about 42".

Sound output from the actual TV is not so important as i will be using separate amp/speakers.

Any advice, proc/cons of either ?

Thanks

Mark.

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my opinion but 'Normal' (CRT) TV's are better than Rear Projection.

With most Rear Projection screens you have to have very dark rooms, light will very adversly effect the veiwing quality.

CRT's on the other hand are much brighter under any circumstances and have a wider viewing angle range (especially the Flatscreen models). Rear Projection screen get more difficult to see as your angle to the screen widens.

I am a Sony freak and believe that Sony VVEGA models are the top of the tree. At least check a few brands out before you buy - dont let anyone tell you that this or that is the best.

The slightly smaller size with CRT is not a huge concern for most lounge rooms. 36 is heaps big enough unless you have a HUGE room.

Hope this helps some.
    Remember just my opinion.

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you search for 'delta' you will see my comments about RP tv's. I have had several models over the last 8 years and my current Toshiba 46WHO8B is by far the best. It can be viewed comfortabley in broad daylight and, having a matt screen, it does not suffer reflections as you will see on conventional tube sets ot other RP tv's with a glossy or glass screen. The picture quality is superb and there are far less convergence errors than you will find on a conventional tv, and, of course, you are able to adjust convergence. The Toshiba range also offers componenet input so if you have a component DVD player then you will see the best possible pictures. I strongly recommend you seek a demonstration of RP tv's before you decide. Go to a proper dealer and not to one of the sheds where they never show these sets off to their best. I am happy to demo my tv to anyone who may have doubts.

Good luck!

4. MarkH

MarkH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments/advice.