1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear projection or crt?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ubik, Feb 22, 2003.

1. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm still dreaming of a good tele.
    What are the pros and cons of a rear projection tele over a crt?
    I'm looking at the ps2 as recommended by "el beetle" etc.
    Its got to last me a long long time (new member of family on the way)

2. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously considered a rear projection tv. But what put me off big time was that you pretty much have to sit and watch it straight on or else the picture and colours become, in my opinion considerably less clear.

A major plus for Rear Projection tvs is that you can often get a considerably larger screen size, pound for pound, than you can with a CRT.

Regards

Tom

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prices for RPTV's now are easily affordable, compared to direct view, still quite expensive for a 36" Widescreen- you can get a 42" RPTV for less!

With RPTV, repair/replacement of guns is possible- with a direct view it can't be done.

I've got a big RPTV, chuffed to bits with it.

Nathan

4. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i got the sony ps2 and really made up with it.And even at 45 degree angle it is still a very good picture ,comparable with my old crt tv.
    The viewing angle is best when you are more or less same level as the screen but thats fine,how often do you watch your tv standing up?

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It depends what you want........
    CRT Direct view TV's are good and are more sharp than an RPTV and you can hang off the celling and still watch it.

But if you are like most people and just sit on the sette or in the comfy chair and watch a lot of films, then RP is for you....the viewing angle on the RP is not a lot for vertical....only prob about 20 degrees from the center....but i dont know many people who sit on stalls in their living room to watch TV and horizontal viewing is about 60 degrees from the center, which is perfect for about 90% of peoples viewing area.

I have a 42" RPTV in a room of 13' by 13' and it is perfect where the sitting arrangments are.

I had a 32" direct veiw before....but it was not big enough for me, when watching movies.........

If you watch Normal programmes most of the time, then get a direct view....but if you enjoy watching a lot of movies, then you need a big screen to watch them on.....

Of course...if you can afford a plasma, then get a 61" plasma and get the best of both (crisp and clear like Direct view and big like a RP).

6. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the Lifespan/Reliability of RPTV's ?

Do the bulbs ever need cleaning ? I've heard every 5 years
    Do the bulbs ever blow ? I've heard there a couple of hundred to replace
    Do the projector ever need cleaning ?
    Does the projector ever brake ? I've heard maybe 2 years

Think about all the dust electrical equipment creates/attracts and that is all drawn to the bulbs or the projector lense. After a few years its goin to build up and affect the picture, It maybe gradual so you wouldn't notice but after a clean you'd see the difference I'm sure

Does anyone know about these issues or any other problems RPTV's have.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Whats the Lifespan/Reliability of RPTV's ?"

As long as direct views!- they are the same technology

There are two twpes of RPTV's - CRT and LCD. CRT have three guns (Red, Green,Blue)- exactly the same as direct view. LCD has a bright bulb which shines light through a LCD matrix. Of course the bulb eventually dims and goes (£400 replacement) , and the LCD matrix pixels die as well.

I would go for CRT- no matrix panel pixellness, and the CRT have true black- LCD has dark grey instead.

"Do the bulbs ever need cleaning ? I've heard every 5 years"

LCD- don't touch the bulb. probably just use air can to blow the dust from the inside. CRT the same- air can on the CRT's. No big deal.

"Do the bulbs ever blow ? I've heard there a couple of hundred to replace"

Yep, LCD go after so many hours, say 5000 hours. Few hundred quid.

"Do the projector ever need cleaning ?"

After several years, and probably accelerated if your smoke.

"Does the projector ever brake ? I've heard maybe 2 years"

More serviceable than a sealed direct view (with CRT RPTV's you can get access to the individual guns to replace/repair)- you can't do that with direct view.

"Does anyone know about these issues or any other problems RPTV's have."

Convergence- usually done every 6 months. Ideally get a techie to run the full convergence.

Geometry and convergence are more adjustable than direct view- if the direct view has a wonky picture- there's only so much you can do. With a RPTV you can sort this problems out.

Dunno why you're getting so worked up- RPTV's are better than direct views-the cost of CRT RPTV's has RIGHT DOWN to £1000 for a 42" widescreen- they were several thousand a couple of years ago.

8. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i put my two pen'orth in please
    what is the best conditions to watch a RPTV in (i dont mean bished, or owt like that) - my room is 28 ft long 13 ft wide narrowing down to 9 ft 1/2 way along - the tv will be positioned within the 9 ft area, with french doors into a conservatory behind - and facing a wiindow.
    will this affect the clarity of the picture - the tv will be used for day-to-day tv viewing.

basically - do you need a darkened room to appreciate them fully

adi

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do need it fairly dim- I have a dimmer reduced. Sunlight on the screen is a big no-no, you loose too much contrast.

Not total darkened- but not bright either!

The best amount of light I can describe would be a lampshade amount of light (at night) amount of light (60W), with no window light reflected on the screen.

Nathan

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have no problem what so ever, with light on mine........i had a 32" goodmans and in the morning and late evening it was nearly imposible to view it, with the sun shining on it......i then up graded to a 32" panasonic, flat tube....this was a lot better......evern in the sun up, sun down times i could still watch it........now i have the tosh 42" RP.......we had nice bright mornings last week and i had no probs viewing the TV...just as good as what the panasonic was......we have no probs watching normal programmes in the evening with the light up full, in fact the screen looks a bit brighter with the light on....but i always dim the lights down when i'm watching a movie....with a screen this big and the lights down low....nothing destracts me from the film, anymore......i love it....i would highly recomened, that if you cannot afford a plasma at the mo, or just want to wait for plasma technology to get better....go get an RP and impress your visitors.

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    And of course.....dont forget the price of getting it re-gased every 2 years and the price of the corgi engineer to visit once a year to service it and make sure it is not leaking.......................and the screen burns.

So now that rules out RP and plasma...i think you are pretty stuffed and will have to stick to Direct view for the forseable future.:eek: :eek:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotfl:

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, if you're talking about CRT RP's need refilling then you're wrong. That's for Plasma.

CRT RP screen burn is less likely than Plasma as well.

Nathan

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :eek:

:laugh: :laugh: :suicide:

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 42"RP set last summer and have no regrets at all.

The picture is bright and clear and the geometry is spot on - no bent lines anywhere.

It takes either component or RGB in (as well as all the other variations) and as has been said, if anything goes wrong, you can take the back off and there's plenty room to fix things.

Convergence is easily checked every couple of months or so from the remote control and rarely needs any attention.

It's a Samsung, coupled with a Sony 5.1/DTS sound system.

So Lord of the Rings last night from DVD was pretty damned good - way ahead of any 36" conventional set.

I expect to be pretty popular too when the big sports events begin later in the year...