1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear projection material.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Majik, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm building a rear projection screen to use for Kickboxing events. Must be portable - we'll be setting it up between a trellis lighting system, which gives us a good nine foot horizontal screen. Lovely.

Doens't need to be high quality in any way - just cheap!! All we've done is set up some simple Powerpoint presentatins with animated backgrounds for the fighters to come in to, plus MP3s connected to each slide fed through the amp. Basically, a bit of razzamatazz (an underused word :) ).

So what material do I use to rear project on to? Cheap is the key here, and portable would be lovely. Is there any blinds or anything that I can buy straight off that would allow a rear projection through?

Alternatively, I could build a frame for a slightly smaller screen and stretch a material across.

Incase, you'd forgotten :) Cheaply!!! The room will be reaosonably dark, and the projector is a DLP.

Majik

2. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Go to builders merchants and ask for 'Terram'

Comes in white, it's a fabric a little like glass fibre mesh. It's used to go under foundations and is translucent. works extremely well as rear projection screen. 10 metres wide by 5.5 metres (the standard pack you buy) costs about £50

I've used it VERY successfully for summer outdoor showings at the school I work at.

3. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are an absolute star sir!!!

Off to Wickes I go...

Majik

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Are rear projection systems as prone to ambient lighting conditions as front projector systems?

5. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll like this! I rang up a few builders merchants, and none of them had any. My last one to try said yes! Success! And get this - they sold it in metre lengths! 4.5m width, per metre length was *drumroll* £2 plus VAT!!! Good grief!! Needless to say I ran round to grab some and....disappointment. they only had it in BLACK!

To say I was gutted was na understatement.

However, I droppped into a place I knew about on the way back and they were just shutting. Apparently though, they have a different make of the same stuff and they sell it in different widths and so on, so I'll be there first thing tommorrow morning to pick some up and try it all out!

Majik