1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection Is The Quality There?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ALANDANE, Mar 24, 2002.

1. ALANDANE

ALANDANE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY ROOM IS 17X13FT I VIEW FROM 8-10FT AND CURRENTLY USE 32PK1. I WANT TO BUY A BIGGER SET BUT AM WORRIED THAT REAR PROJECTION SETS MAY NOT OFFER THE PICTURE QUALITY THAT I ENJOY WITH THE PK1. THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT SEEING REAR PROJECTION SETS IN THE FLESH IS DIFFICULT IN THIS NECK OF THE WOODS.THE TWO PROJECTION SETS I MAY BE INTERESTED IN ARE THE PANNY TX42PT 10 AND THE TOSH 42WH18B .DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ONE AND IF SO HOW DO THEY COMPARE WITH CRT PICTURE QUALITY? IF I DECIDE TO GO 36"CRT WOULD THE 36PF 10 STILL BE A GOOD BUY? WHWTEVER I BUY WOULD BE FOR EVERY DAY VIEWING THROUGH A DIGIBOX AND DVDS

MY SYSTEM
    32PK1
    SONY STRDB 940
    REL Q200E SUB
    TANNOY MERCURY CENTRE
    TANNOY R1'S FRONT
    TANNOY REARS
    SONY 525S DVD PLAYER
    PS2

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 36 panny crt. I bought the panny tx42pt10 about 1 month ago. I certainly think that the picture on the crt was clearer but only by a margin. As long as you are not sitting to far to the side of this tv im sure you will like it. I would rather keep my rptv than go back to the 36 crt. I sit about 8 feet away from mine and I love it, especially dvds. I nearly bought the tosh as you could go to more of an angle and still see the picture however the build quality was no where near as good as the panny. I also did not feel as comfortable going for the tosh as i have never owned anything by them!! If I were you I would go for the panny RPTV as the slight difference in quality (and i mean slight) is made up for in the difference in screen size. Hiope this helps and good luck..

3. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a thomson 44" and my room is all but dammit the same size as yours,tv at one end ( 17foot ) and main settee is approx 12 foot from screen also another settee is at the side of the room and tv can still be watched ok
    My picture is slightly softer than a std tv but as mentioned ,this is more than compensated for by the extra screen size,theres nothing like a close up of an actors face when it fills the screen !

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    I felt the same as you and decided on the 36" Tosh, i bought it to get best picture quality.I found myself disapointed as the big tube caused picture errors i couldnt live with.
    I got the 43" Hitachi and find to my amazement that the picture quality from Sky Movies can at times match DVD, which is to say very good if not excellent. You must try and demo these tvs, its a big purchase so its worth the effort to travel. I had the store in a flap when i started to take the grills off set to judge general build quality etc.. also take your DVD player and a selection of both r1 and r2 discs with you. Take your time and visit twice if need be.
    Good luck...

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alan,

With RP TVs you'll find off air VCR recordings and analogue terrestrial signals (though I see you'll use a digibox) will be frustrating since the quality will not be good. This is due to the screen size rather than any inherent properties of RP TVs.

However, a DVD via an RGB or component signal and you'll be smiling away :D :D :D :D :D

Go for it.

6. MelS

MelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been comparing rear projectors to large CRTs - had to travel a ways to find a store with a decent set up - the local Comet has bright lights shining on all the RPs & a fuzzy signal :rolleyes:.

I was quite impressed by picture quality - not as bright or quite as sharp as CRT, but not at all bad, & I felt that the extra size more than made up for it.

I would suggest you look for yourself - you may have to try more than one shop though.

I'm probalby going to go with the CRT myself as I understand that the tubes in RPs have a limited life :( & my TV gets heavily used..

7. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MelS:

About 4-5 years if you keep the brightness down to the levels they should be at (rather than factory default).

Don't let tube life dissuade you from the RP TV route.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Not True.

I have a Tosh 40WH08B and the analogue signal is fine.
    I suppose it depends on the kind of reception you get.
    I use SVHS and I cannot tell the difference between it and broadcast analog or digi.
    Don't know about VHS as I never use it.

One things for sure, I'll never buy a CRT TV again.

9. MelS

MelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re 4 - 5 years, How many hours of actual use would that be?

Are they replaceable if so anyone know how much would it typically cost?

Or are we talking new TV.

Thanks Mel.

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are worrying unnecesarily, RPTV cathode ray tubes last as long as any crt in a conventional tv. Chances are by the time they pack up you will have changed your tv anyway! As for picture quality, given a good signal then RP tv's are better than conventional tv's. Take the plunge, you won't regret it. Toshiba can't keep up with the demand for their WH18B models!

11. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Depends what you mean by 'fine'. A large screen will show up the defects of a slightly imperfect signal to a greater extent than would a smaller screen set.

(p.s I also have the 40WH with feeds from digital and good analogue sources so I'm not just speculating here).

Cheers,