1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear projection and consoles

Discussion in 'TVs' started by H4r7y, Sep 29, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there anything worth worrying about.
    im planning on getting a RPTV soon and ive got an xbox to hook up to the new tv i get. should i be thinking about a rptv? or should i make do with a normal crt tv?
    plasma's and lcd tv's are out of my price range for now so its between these 2 kinds of set.

any help or advice would go down great

cheers

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are threads about this elsewhere, but in short, if you get a RPTV then you MUST heed the warning about using low contrast/brightness settings when running a games console on it. If you don't you will burn out the tubes in no time flat and they will not be covered under warranty for that sort of abuse. Oh, and just for the record that warning also applies to plasmas. LCD's are immune to this effect, but then you have the wonderful motion blurring effect which makes me physically sick!

If you're careful RPTV will be OK, but if you're after a bit of longevity and want high contrast and brightness settings then get a normal CRT set.

3. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Rptv has a 'games' setting which is in essence a little reduced in brightness and contrast, both about 48%, am running this so far for 10 months with no problems, gamesw look beautiful and bright enough.

As my general viewing settings are not much higher anyways round about 53% brightness and 48% contrast, i don't think i burn out my tubes faster than normal, they will be done in general after about 12000hrs, which equates to about 5 years with my kind of use, but i think it's a fair compromise for £900, as opposed to over £1300 for a decent 36'', which might last some years more.

If you want to be on the 100% safe side however you should probably go CRT.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys, thanks for the replies.
    this is going to be my main tv, so its going to get used for tv watching,dvd's and games consoles.
    does it matter how much your gonna use a rear projection tv?
    i dont want to burn it out in the first year!

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To a point yes. If you set you controls sensibly then it will last a good few years, but above average usage will shorten the life of pretty much any TV.

The problem with games consoles revolves areound stationary images. This is the reason why you need to reduce your screen settings in order to preserve the tubes. If you do this and, assunimg you get a Tosh, avoid reset 1 like the plague (it sets contrast to 100!!) then you will be ok.

6. foz200315

foz200315
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! Right, heres some facts. I have a Tosh 50WT29B and am a huge film watcher, and play a lot of PS2 games. I have had many a drunken night of falling asleep with the menue for a DVD on the screen for 8hrs+ (nasty upon waking, with a strange feeling of listening to which ever music score is on the DVD menu over and over) Any way I have had the tv for over 3 years now and never have I had to replace the screen due to burned images its as good as new really. I reckon that the warnings are there but apply to much older sets - I reckon that problem no longer exists due to improvements in materials and technologies! Hope thats any use to you dude. Dont worry - be happy! :thumbsup:

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trust me it can happen if you use very high contrast settings. I have a friend who works in an independent TV repair business and he's shown me a rear projection that had less than 3 months in the owners' house, but the phosphor was so badly burnt on the tubes you could actually read the letters. Apparently the owner had left the set on maximum contrast and thought the warning on the back of the set was only relevant if it was used in a pub or club!

If you use sensible contrast and brightness settings then I don't think screen burn is too much of an issue but it is worth taking the extra precaution of using lower contrast and brightness settings to minimise the risk of it happening.