1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Projection and burn-in

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dudbolt, Jan 13, 2004.

1. dudbolt

dudbolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie question!

With the dropping in prices of rear projection boxes, i was thinking of getting one. My one concern is burn-in. How likely is it to happen. I mean, can it build up over time, it's not like i watch TV for 5 hours at a time but i am also a keen gamer. If i am playing a game for a couple of hours a day , can burn-in occur over time?

Looking forward to your opinions!

Garrett

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi there....this one gets asked quite often,and a search on the forums will provide you with lots of information.....broadly speaking,providing you keep the contrast and brightness down to sensible levels,and don't leave static images onscreen for extended periods,then screen burn is no more likely than with a plasma or conventional CRT.

I use an HCPC to run my Toshiba RPTV,and although I don't use that machine for games,I haven't had any problems with screen burn from the PC images.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    If it is a real worry for you - investigate the (relatively few) LCD RearPro sets available (eg from Samsung) or DLP (eg from LG). These won't suffer phosphor burn (no phosphor to burn).

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Strange question here uys, but I take it the screen burn your reffering too is related to the glass screen and not the LCD or DLP panels within the RPTV.
    Clarification would be greatly appreciate.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Its related to the phosphors in the CRT's.....the glass screen of an RPTV isnt affected itself...getting back to the other issue of LCD/DLP Rptv's...the DLP sets do have very good contrast and obviously no screen burn(as with LCD's),but do suffer from "rainbows" as with some other DLP based items,and I certainly found the LCD's lacking in contrast.

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just to clarify..

Most RPTV's use 3 CRT's which are just very bright!!!... these project via a mirror onto a front lens/screen..

Like all CRT's they are susceptible to screen burn if left with a staionaty or part stationary image for a length of time..
    But, they are not that sensitive.. for general use it will never be an issue.. you can reduce the contrast/brightness a touch to reduce the risk, but its highly unlikely you will suffer from it, they are almost on par with normal CRT TV's..

There are newer RPTV's that use more typical projection technology, i.e. a Bulb , and these come in DLP or LCD flavours.. the Bulb is the light source, the DLP/LCD panels produce the colour and picture, and this is projected via a mirror? onto a front screen... Both are much less susceptible to 'screen burn' as such, i.e. the LCD panel.. but the LCD panels do degrade over time, and will tend to yellow with the heat of the very very hot bulb... this just means the colours and light output slightly change.. not a biggie, CRT's also lose some brightness over time... LCD/DLP projectors also use bulbs which will be in the region of £200 upwards to replace, not sure of the bulb life, but I would expect 6000+ hours of life??

If you primarily want an RPTV for games, then an LCD may make a better choice, since you are not likely to notice or care about its relatively high black level (blacks that look dark grey instead of black).. and being more digitally orientated, they do look slightly clearer with consoles.. and are less susceptible to screen burn... However they do suffer from poor black level, and more pronounced digital artefacts which makes them not as good as CRT for movies..

Thats not to say that CRT based RPTV's are bad with games, or that LCD are hopeless with movies, but as with all things, they have strengths and weaknesses in various areas..