1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear pro as secondary PC monitor

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SixWhippys, May 14, 2003.

1. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my TV as a secondary monitor connected to my entertainment PC via TV-out (S-Video) and it works really well – in Windows extended desktop mode both the TFT primary monitor and the TV refresh at 60Hz, and both are happy doing so.

I’m thinking of getting a rear-pro TV in the near future, probably a Tosh 42PW23P or Sony KP44PSU. Would these rear-pros be happy refreshing at 60Hz?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pal 50hz works, and NTSC 60hz as well.

I've got a 42PW23P. I sometimes use my laptop's S-Video out - in the BIOS I can change between PAL & NTSC.

PQ is OK. Drop down to 640x480 and you can use it for Word, although it's still not as good as a PC Monitor. Fine for games though.

Be careful with CRT burn though, I would imagine the taskbar/icons could burn onto the tubes.

Oh yeah get a good quality lead, I've got a 3M Ixos and a cheapo 1M lead- 1M lead has lots of video vertical banding noise, the banding with the Ixos is still there, just decreased.

3. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Nathan.

Now this is where I show my ignorance about TV formats, signals and stuff.

I've set the display properties in Windows to output a 800x600 PAL I signal to the TV, but the properties dialog doesn't actually say what the refresh rate is (it says "maximum supported refresh 60Hz"). I've therefore assumed that the TV is receiving a PAL signal at 60Hz since I was under the impression that the Radeon 9000 sets both displays to the same refresh rate.

From what you're saying, the 42PW will only work at 60Hz with an NSTC signal. In my current setup if I change the format to NSTC I get a black and white picture, so that's not good, and I'm assuming I'd get the same deal on the 42PW.

So, is it possible to output a PAL format signal at 60Hz and have the telly think it's receiving a 60Hz NSTS signal and hence display it? Is there a fixed relationship between the format of the signal and the refresh rate?

Or if this is getting to muddy, would a better alternative be to plug the S-Video into, say, the DVD input on a Denon 3803 (which I am planning on buying at the same time as the 42PW) and then use component video out to the TV?

Re. CRT burn - I'm careful to use a screen saver when using the TV as a monitor, and the toolbar etc are on the primary monitor. Have you experienced any problems re. burn from on screen idents or the wretched Red button?

I guess another question I'd be daft not to ask is are you happy with your TV - would you recommend it?

Cheers

Graeme.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you output a higher resolution greater than 640x480 to the TV it will not be above 640x480 as that's what TV's are limited to- that's their resolution. I guess it looks "bigger" but it's not behaving like a PC monitor. Not sure exactly what's happening, but anything over 640x480 seems to go alot more blurry, rather than just as sharp but higher res (like a PC mon)

If you set to PAL output it'll be 50hz. NTSC, 60hz.

I run Region 1 NTSC DVD's via Component- it's in colour (pure R1 110V NTSC player)

When I use my laptop in NTSC, that's also in colour. Also no problems with PAL.

I guess you could send PAL60, but I have no way of checking what refresh is actually sent- I haven't got an oscillascope. Just because the control panel reports it, doens't mean it's correct. Maybe the S-Video output is deliberty limited to frequency & resoultion to avoid damage to TV's.

Don't have Sky, and only use laptop to RP for occasional movie, otherwise it's mainly used for DVD's from my DVD-Video player.

Yes I would recommend it, but not as a secondary PC display. I would say a Plasma will be better (since they have VGA input) although Plasma can also suffer from screenburn.

PQ is very good. A couple of minor niggles (Lens Striping, slight Schempluge) but good value for a grand.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I can send you a snapshot of a DVD if you want. 800K. PM me with your email and I'll send you it.

A mate also think's the set is pretty amazing for £1K, and IMO better than Plasma PQ (for DVD-Video playback) Plasma seem pixelly and the pixels can die.

6. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I'm going to be using the PC/TV for playing DVDs (and Winamp visualisations), the info and recommendation are hugely encouraging - thanks.

I'd also love to be able to play full screen games on it, but I don't think I can do that unless I can set the TV to be the primary display, and I don't want do that. DVDs and Winamp is what I set the PC up for, and I'm happy with that.

As you say, the price is excellent and as much a I'd love a plasma I can't justify spending 2.5 the price to get one... I've got to keep a sense of proportion on this after all!

Cheers,

Graeme.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0