Rear Port query...wharfedales 10.3

Coley17

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have to say ive asked a couple of questions round here and everybody's been great so far. I think this is my final Q for a while but hopefully I can help out fellow newbs when they ask similar.

I was 99% all set on the Wharfedale 10.3s as fronts and 10.0's as rear speakers to go with my Sony amp. However, I just noticed that they have rear firing ports and i was planning on not having them miles away from the wall.

Basically, the tv is in the corner so i can have the speakers about 6" away from the wall, will this be sufficient room for the port or am i best looking elsewhere?

If this isn't going to be suitable, i was also looking at the Acoustic Energy Neo 3's, however I cannot for the life of me find any info on the ports for these - if anybody knows i'd appreciate the knowledge :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm thinking of the Neo 3 as well and have the same positioning problem.The AE is similarly rear ported and its recommended that 12" from the wall/side is allowed.

However,I believe that they come with Port Bungs (Foam) to restrict them.If they don't have the bungs then any foam,Cloth will do the same job.I've heard of socks being used!

K.

Aye, its a pain! I wonder how 'boomy' it really is though! If anybody can comment on these or recommend a similarly priced pair of front ported floorstanders i'd be well happy.

I do love the Kef IQ5SE but they are maybe a bit expensive for me. I dont like the Tannoy or Q Acoustics 1030/1050 either, really looking for a similar finish to the 10.3s or IQ5.

Information coming in indicates that despite being rear ported, the Diamond 10 have a very minimal rear clearance requirement.

Before you made any decisions, I would see if I could find a copy of the Owner's Manual for the specific speakers you are considering and see if the minimum rear space requirement is consistent with your needs.

Steve/bluewizard

Cheers Steve, took your advice and looked out the manuals. Looks like they are similar in terms of distance from the rear (i can get away with 20 cm) but the KEF's need 1m from the sides whilst the W's need 0.7m from the sidewalls. That's not going to happen in my living room so i'll just need to grin and bear it I think!

Those dimensions are guidelines. If you don't follow them, the speaker police will not come and arrest you.

In your room, you have to do what you have to do, but knowing the side and rear requirements can help you make the best possible decision within the room you have.

There is a point where bass deep in the corners becomes too droning and muddy, and cause timing errors in the midrange.

But there is a difference between being literally shoved into the corner, and simply being out a foot on the side and back.

Do the best you can with what you've got.

Steve/bluewizard

The only additional comment I would make is that, though getting hard to find, you can still get the Diamond 9.4, which has a larger 6.5" woofer (125mm or 5" for the 10.3) and is front ported. I think Stone Audio as well as a few others might still have some for £199/pr. That is £100 savings on a very nice speaker.

A 6.5" woofer is roughly 1.7 time larger than a 5" woofer.

The Diamond 10's certainly look sweet; extremely attractive. But having been poor, I can never get over the tendency to search out a bargain. And though they Diamond 9.4 has been sold for less, even at the current price, they are indeed a bargain.

As I always say, the heart wants what the heart wants, and it will not be denied.

Just some food for thought.

Steve/bluewizad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom