1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear placement - high or low?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by themmings, May 4, 2003.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just setting up my new kit and attaching the speakers to the walls via their brackets.

The front 3 (2 x micro's L/R and 1 x adiva for centre) are all sitting at 115 cm off the ground. The gap measuring from the centre speaker to the left speaker is 125cm (tis the same for the right speaker.

Is this too wide?

I can toe them in via the bracket. The width of the room is about 13ft. I've got a gap from either speaker to the wall of approx 65cm.

Viewing position is about 11.5 ft back - slap bang in line with the centre speaker.

Finally, at what height should I set my rears to, again, they will be on brackets but due to the room layout, they will be almost level with my ears. i.e. not 2 or 3 feet behind me.

The rears sit on angled parts of the wall that link the rear wall to the side walls. Screen is a 43" plasma sat slap bang above the centre speaker all neatly aligned:D Room is approx 13ft by 13ft.

Tim:rolleyes:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, the front left & rights should be the same height as your head in your normal viewing position really. Tweeters at ear level. As for how far apart, you should start with them quite far apart and then move them towards each other until you get the best stereo image you can.

The rears should be much higher up and a couple of feet or so above your ears. In terms of how far forward they are, it's fine for the rears to be parallel with your ears, but try and put them slightly behind if you can.

Try not to have any speakers too close to the wall behind them as this can affect the acoustics, unless of course your rears are speakers that actively use the walls to generate the sound, e.g. Mission NXT based speakers. I note you have Gallos, not sure about them :)

3. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ...That's what I went with in the end;)

Tim