1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear options for Tannoy Revolutions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bassbin, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've recently upgraded my front 3 speakers to some Tannoy R3s and an RC centre. Tannoy don't seem to offer decent rears to match so I've kept my Paradigm ADPs and Atoms. The RC centres are very good value at the moment so I'm considering getting a couple to use as surround backs. Any thoughts on how this will work? I'll then look for a pair of R1s for the LR rears.

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the R1s aren't very good speakers. Whats wrong with the Eyris rears? If you've got the space for two RCs they'll be fine though.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks. I hadn't considered the Eyris as I expected them to be too costly but I'll keep an eye out. I wasn't sure about the R1 either. My other option is to just get the 2 RC's and stick with 5.1 as the cinema room they're going in next year is only about 16'x9'

4. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ has the tannoy rears for £329.99. I got my pair a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with them. They look great on the wall as well!

5. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I've had two sets of the Eyris R's for a while now and am very happy with them. I run one set on the side walls and on on the rear in a 5.1 setup.

The only criticism I have is that although compact they are still relatively large speakers to have on the walls!

If you like their looks you won't be dissappointed with their sound. Incidently they took a long time to break in (like all Eyris's - weeks!) and sound their best.

6. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Do you not have any front speakers then? :confused:

Interested to know about the long break in period though. I'm currently waiting on a pair of Eyris 3's and an Eyris centre to match my rears.

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That's what I've got already just looking for 2-4 rears. However, I'm considering using additional RC centre speakers instead of dedicated surrounds.

8. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    astirling - yes I have some front speakers! I have the full Eyris set up E3/EC/ERx2.

To my ears the speakers did not break in and open up for about 4-5 weeks or so of moderate use. Although they sounded good when I first got them they certainly didn't sound as open and have such an articulate bass (E3's) - in comparison they were slightly 'shut in' if you like. But this DOES change after running in and boy does the whole system sound good!

9. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Glad to hear. I know the 3's got mixed reviews so I was a bit hesitant. However they were being reviewed as £1200 speakers and I got them for half that price so I'm hoping that I'm getting good value for money.
    At the moment I've got floorstanding TDL RTL 3's (anyone remember these??), a centre Paradigm CC-350 and two Eyris Rears. I kind of thought that this was a bit all over the place so I'm hoping I see an improvement with a complete Eyris system. Oh...forgot to add that they're being paired with a Pioneer AX5i and Pioneer 757Ai DVD player.

10. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes I think I remember the TDL's you mention - good speakers with great bass?

Yeah same as you about the reviews. However, I think that maybe the not so favourable reviews were done on 'out of the box' speakers ie they were not run in properly. In any case, as you rightly say, these were reviews of £1200 speakers not £600!

IMO at £600 these speakers are an absolute bargain and you would not begrudge paying £1200 for them if you had to!

11. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I love my TDL's to be honest and I'll be sorry to see them go. I think they only cost me £350 at the time as well! Hopefully some lucky e-bayer well get as much fun out of them as I did.