Rear mounted surrounds upgrade

fazer92

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok so looking to upgrade my sub, and that conversation brought up my surrounds and realised these are way overdue an upgrade from my first HT setup. Currently running str1080, MA bronze 50s as front, bronze c150 centre, tannoy HTS sub, and 4 HTS surrounds as 2 corner of room mounted surrounds and 2 Atmos speakers.
Will want to upgrade all the HTS stuff but first priority is the 5.1 elements so surround (sub being looked at already).

Now ideally I'm looking at 2nd hand as can't go too high on price ATM, love the look of the MA fx's but I've seen they shouldn't be placed directly in the corner. Ideally I need small speakers as the other half already hates the HTS surrounds and they are only h-16cm w-11cm d-13cm. The fx's are noticeably bigger but I feel like the design I would be able to get away with. 🤣

Main seating position is against back wall which the speakers are mounted too, with only enough space for the recliners to move back so no room for stands.
Any suggestions much appreciated, if I've missed critical info I will add 🤣
Thanks

What you think could you fit Bronze 1 from earlier gen which can be bought used cheaply and then add the MASM wall brackets?! If still too large then used Radius 90 could be ideal.

Bronze 50 (latest)

External Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals (H x W x D))​

281 x 166 x 265 mm

--------------------------

Bronze 1 (old)

Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals HWD:
260 x 165 x 205 mm

Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)​

260 x 165 x 180 mm

-------------------------

Cabinet Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals (H x W x D))​

198 x 125 x 164 mm

I had actually forgot about the radius 90s, which is embarrassing as when I was looking at what's on eBay all the other radius centres and what have yous didn't make me twig it.
I think bronze 1s could possibly work, but radius would be better fit.
I've obviously seen the CA min's but not sure how I feel about their frequency range, but size wise they are perfect.

I've obviously seen the CA min's but not sure how I feel about their frequency range, but size wise they are perfect.
Radius 45's (10cm cube), are only slightly bigger than the minx's. They can also be mounted using the MASM brackets @Gasp3621 mentions.

Might be worth considering if wanting discreet surround speakers.

I was just about to ask about the 45s, if they are highly recommended and what not.

I was just about to ask about the 45s, if they are highly recommended and what not.
Lovely speakers. They also contain a small rear bass port.

Here's a review:

@fazer92

Radius 45s have rear firing tweeters so the sound bounces from wall to listener. I`m not so sure about positive feedback with them. They look really nice, but in past i remember some unhappy owners. The 45s, MinX Min etc. will sound thin (from experience) and require higher crossover setting. Hopefully wife agrees on the Radius 90s, let her choose the finish and check that the ebay ones are the newer (2012-13) and not the original..

I take it the original ones are the ones with the other type of bracket mount (2 mount holes either side of the terminals). Why the reason to avoid the originals?

I take it the original ones are the ones with the other type of bracket mount (2 mount holes either side of the terminals). Why the reason to avoid the originals?

Perhaps bit too old and the newer ones made some good chances so i would assume they are clearl step up with nicer looks too. :) Radius is lifestyle range so they are voiced with more "spark" compared to hifi ranges Bronze/Silver etc.

Are you going for the Monolith 12 THX V1?

Still not 100% sure on the sub due to a few upgrades and size issues it maybe more like bk xxls400 or bk p12. I'm finding the bronze 1s easier ATM so if I find the right colour and condition it could well be them, but radius is definitely the better option for size.

Your right the older ones have the 2 holes at the back the latest ones have a single fixing point and the logo on the front is different here's a photo of mine which are the new ones and they are excellent speakers and wife friendly that's why I got them. I've just found this online if you go for second hand radius 90 it might help

Attachments

• 20221005_222425.jpg
    20221005_222425.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20221005-231615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-231615_Chrome.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Ah thanks for the 2nd image, I was finding 2g ones that had what looks like the same logo as the 3g but with the dual fixing points. Making me wonder what I was looking at. I think the logo is slightly different but it may just be based on colour of the grills.
Its a shame I bought the bronze 50s in the grey that the radius don't come in🤣 just need to find some in black now that don't have poked in tweeters🤣

Get bigger speakers, I'd say 80hz response.

I'm using q acoustic 3010i and I wouldn't recommend getting a smaller/less bassy speaker than these, for surrounds.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have Dion, got them on watched. But look like the tweeter on the left is pushed in to me.

In fact both do🤣

I have Dion, got them on watched. But look like the tweeter on the left is pushed in to me.

In fact both do🤣
You must have good eyes I never noticed it 🤣🤣

The whites I think might too but you can't see the tweeters through the grille as easy as on the black.

The whites I think might too but you can't see the tweeters through the grille as easy as on the black.
Whites blends so nicely if you got white/light walls. Add d-lite white trunking from Amazon to hide wires and wife will be happy! 👌

Coming back to your earlier post i wouldn`t hurry too much with the surround speaker upgrade as it`s the least important as you already have decent speakers there. Not going to be massive difference. I`m thinking this as you said the Monolith 12 being too expensive so perhaps buying sub first with larger budget as this is something you can easily regret later. Subwoofer being usually the first upgrade to system so the best advice is buy the best product you can afford.

You didn´t mention how large room you got there (with possible openings), but as you was looking the Mono 12 THX i assume it`s not small?

If 666£ is too much consider also BK Monolith (300w) for 505£ and few pennies for shipping. It costs same as the P12-PR, but it will be quite different to have nearly twice the size ported cabinet so if blockbuster movies are high priority this is best option from BK (for med sized room)! Notice the FF and DF has different dimensions so compare those.

Forum advertiser has still the SVS PB1000 for 450£ which is low price for one of the most popular 500$ entry level HT sub all over world. While it has only 10" driver it can play seriously loud deep down if you are looking to create earthquake. It`s slightly smaller over BK Mono and comes with 5year warranty.

If you are leaning more toward smaller cab (XXLS400/P12) then one of the best deal atm is the REL HT/1205 which is being discontinued so last few still available. I believe most people would pick this over XXLS400 which is much older, buzzing/humming amps and only 2yr warranty. RS gives 6year warranty for REL which gives peace of mind.

Forgive the crudeness of the drawing, room is 3.6x4.6.
3.6 being the wall with the door and obviously the opposite.

The rel size wise is perfect for me with what I have already box wise. Will only likely be able to get it from nintronics which seem to only do a 3 year warranty.
Monolith is great but just too big I think, svs I've heard great things about too but don't necessarily need earthquake 🤣

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_101254298.jpg
    PXL_20221007_101254298.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 34
Forgive the crudeness of the drawing, room is 3.6x4.6.
3.6 being the wall with the door and obviously the opposite.

The rel size wise is perfect for me with what I have already box wise. Will only likely be able to get it from nintronics which seem to only do a 3 year warranty.
Monolith is great but just too big I think, svs I've heard great things about too but don't necessarily need earthquake 🤣

Probably need two subs in that room, one won't be enough for movies

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom