1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear match for Quads

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rulocal, Dec 2, 2003.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have just acquired a Quad Centre to go with my 11ls and and am now looking for some rears that will go well with the front array. I don't have the space/cash to go with another pair of 11ls and am looking for some suggestions that preferably work well wallmounted.

The sort of things I am considering are Monitor Audio BFXs, Wharfdale DFSs, one of the Mission (x)DSs or maybe even a pair of 'eggs'. I haven't got my amp yet but will probably go with a Pioneer 812 or maybe even a second hand Sony STRDB1080.

Any feedback on Speakers or Amp would be much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

2. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I'm in the same boat too,quad 12ls and quad center but cannot decide on rears.
    Do you think if i can afford it the quad11ls would be the ideal solution? it's the tonal matching thing that's bothering me although i understand it's not as important for the effects speakers.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have Mission M7DS rears with M&K front speakers. I didn't find it too much of a problem with films although it wasn't so good with music.

I have now changed the rears to M&K and whilst it has improved the soundstage for films and makes music sound much better, they were considerably more expensive than the Missions.

4. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Klaus

I would have thought the 11ls would be perfect. I would go with them if I had the space. I remember reading on this forum somewhere that the Wharfedale DFSs use similair dirvers to the Quads so I might try and listen to those but setting up a perfect demo won't be easy particularly as the DFSs don't appear to be widely stocked.

Incidentally, what amp are you using?

5. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    im using a pioneer vsx912,the front 12ls are through a preout on the 912 into a nad c370.
    regarding the 11ls as surrounds,im not to bothered about dvdA or sacd just movies so although they would look great don't you think they will be a little wasted.

6. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't think they would be wasted, perhaps just an extravagance.

Do you have any rears at the moment because I have started a thread about the MCACC on the Pioneer amps and I understand from feedback their that this can be used to 'tonally' match the front and rears. I wouldn't have thought this would be 100% accurate but would mitigate some of the mismatch effect.

MCACC on Pioneer amps

I think i am going to go for the Wharfdealed although I am not 100% sure yet. I would prefer something a little smaller.

DFSs

7. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Do you know anywhere online that sells the wharfdales ?
    I think i will get the quads though and mount them on corner shelves high up.
    I have tried a 15yo pair of sony speakers just to test the rear channels and they were not as bad as you would think,the 912 set them up as large and they nearly fell apart while watching T2 but i couldn't do any better manually.
    also i think but am not sure that the 812 comes with the microphone to auto set up.

8. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There was a link on my previous post to the Wharfedale retailer, Hifistore.co.uk.

I would go for the Quads if I had the space :( .

You are right. The VSX812 does not have the automatic setup.