1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Dipole position ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davidhunter, Jul 13, 2003.

1. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Probably been asked a thousand times but heres the poroblem.
    Monitor Audio di/bi pole rears using a pioneer VSXD2011 amp. The amp has auto setup using a mic but seemed to get the levels badly wrong for these rears.
    Could it be the position of the speakers ?
    I have a square room I sit on the back wall in the centre
    The dipoles are around 6feet up the wall on the sides and about 1metre infront of my listening position.

Questions :-
    Would they be better on the rear wall ? or in the corners at the rear of the room ?
    What mode should they be in di pole or bi pole on the side walls and on the rears ?

Any help much appreciated on this as this setup thing is abit of a pain not to mention a real mess when drilling holes in the ceiling.

Thanks

Davy

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dipoles are really designed to go on the side walls.

I would move them back 1M - so they are directly to your left and right (9 & 3 o clock from the screen - 12 o clock is the screen)

Dipole on the sides, Bipole on the back wall.

I've found out my SPL meter has problems picking up the test tone on my dipoles.

You want dipoles above head height/above the front soundstage.

3. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers Nathan,
    If I was to move them back a metre though they would be tight against the rear wall, would that not make the sound a bit odd ? as the rear facing speaker would be around 15 cm from the wall. Also I have a slight alcove on the left wall ie 9 o'clock position. Its 1 metre wide and around 30 cm deep hence I mounted the speakers 1 metre infront and the left one on the chimney breast.

Do you know where I can get any good info on di/bi pole as I am totally confused about this whole push /pull, in phase out of phase etc etc bit.

Thanks again

Davy

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I thought you just have the usual square/rectangle shaped room..

You could move the sofa forward slightly, having 1M between the sofa and back wall (and then the sides will be at exactly either side.. and it'll help the rear sound as well)..

Info on bipoles/dipoles...

Bipoles front/back facing speakers are in-phase- that means the front & back facing driver are correctly wiring.

For dipoles, the back facing drivers are out of phase (incorrectly wired)

THX spec recommend dipoles on the sides, monopoles for the rear surrounds. I would consider bipoles on the back wall (if close)

Also Tripoles, in which a front facing- in phase woofer, plus front/back facing drivers, ie, M&K SS-150. Not sure if Tripole front/back is out of phase or in phase though.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Supposedly the three faces of a tripole are at 90 degrees of phase seperation, so front and rear behave like a dipole (180 degrees) and the middle is both physically and acoustically in between them.