Rear Dilema

M

mousebat

I need to upgrade my poor quality rears. I like the idea of difuse dipole-type speakers but the Mission/Gales/MS 903s I am looking don't seem to be full range. Would it be better to just go for some half decent bookshelfs or am I barking up the wrong tree with the full range business?

Ian J

Banned
The ones that you are talking about are meant to be used as part of a 5.1 system with the bass being handled by the subwoofer.

M

mousebat

Ian, thanks
And indeed I do have a 100w active sub that shakes my sofa sufficiently which is why I was wondering if I need full range rears or whether difuse rears would be better. Even with a sub I have seen a big improvement with a full range centre but perhaps this is less important with rears.

Ian J

Banned
If you have the rears set to small in your amp's bass management it shouldn't make any difference.

M

mousebat

Ian,
That makes absolute sense, I also changed my Yammy 620 setting for front speaker to small and it removed the boominess from the sound. Your fronts might be ok in the right setting (ideal placement, carpets etc.) but if concessions to marital bliss include non-ideal placement and bare floorbords then let the sub do all the low stuff.
Dipoles it is then.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom