1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear channel activity

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GFS AV, Mar 12, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System:
    Mordaunt-Short Avant 906, 905c, 902.
    Yamaha 640SE.

I have had my setup for about a year now, and it has just occured to me that my rear speakers (902 standmounters) are probably not even run in yet.

Although I use my system a lot (on average about 3-4 DVDs a week), my rear speakers dont seem to get much use, apart from films like LOTR where a lot of info is sent to the rear channels.

My front 906s and 905c I think are well bedded in now as they obviously output constantly during films and music. I am just wondering how long it usually takes for rear speakers to be ran in and reach their potential.

I even thought about moving my 902s to the front for a while to give them a good few hours solid use, but I could do without messing around with my cables again.

My 902s are on 'empty' Apollo Olympus stands at the moment. Would I notice much difference filling them, even though they are just the rear effects channels?

This may sound like a daft question, but would a better amp help? i.e. would the effects steering be more accurate, thus bringing the rear speakers into play more?

Any help appreciated.

2. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    To run them in run some music in multi channel mode for a day or 2 that should do it

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    GFS: have you got a copy of Pulp Fiction? If you do, how does the scene where Marcellus is talking to Bruce Willis sound (camera is looking at Bruce and you haven't yet seen Marcellus)? Sounds a little bit woolly through my 905....

Cheers :)

ps what you need is my spare SR53000 to match your MS speakers ;)

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi GVS,

A lot of movies just do not have a lot of action for the rear effect speakers.

Having a better amp will improve the steering and localisation, but if the info is not there in the first place, it is not going to be created naturally.

I ran my rear speaker in by using 7 Channel stereo DSP mode. Hate listening to it in this mode, but it served its purpose of running the speakers in.

5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Try The Matrix- plenty of rear speaker action during the fight scenes.