1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Centre speakers????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andymc, Oct 2, 2003.

1. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have recently got a 6.1 set up and am confused as to what to do regarding the rear centre channel. I have read that it is best to try and keep your three rear speakers the same - therefore I have to buy Eltax HT Bi polar which I am more than happy with.
    :clap:

But I am also being told to go for a centre channel speaker which I have to say I am not keen on as it will look totally wrong.
    :thumbsdow

So my dilemma is Bipolar Centre which I can put in the centre for best effect or a centre speaker which will have to be positioned way off centre.

AGGGHHHHHH dont you just wish you could add milk and an egg and it all be done in 5 minutes....

Andy C

PS. If I go Bi Polar I am going to have a spare so any one interested in the lone speaker let me know

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no you won't
    run the two speakers in series.
    sounds better.
    the human ear can not localise sound from directly behind.
    If you have the two in serial about half a foot apart that will sound much better.
    I would'nt use a center speaker as a rear.(who said to use a center? would it be a certen budget shop.)

3. hawke

hawke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree to NOT use a center channel. Aside from asthetics, it's just overfocused for a rear surround, not to mention overpriced.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would go for the Eltax, my Brother uses three of these in his 6.1 setup, but he is contemplating using the spair one in series and have two surround back speakers, not sure how this will work in his current HC room which is only 8ft wide.
    I personally use Mission 70ds for the sides and a mission 77ds for back surround, they look the same but the 77ds does sound better than the 70's.

I wouldn't use a centre either for a surround speaker.

5. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So you guys are suggesting that I buy another set of Bi Polars and run the cables to them as sides and then take a cable from them to the rears? Have I got that right as it would actually be good in the room having speakers half way down.

And thanks for quick responses as I want to do this tommorow

Andy C

6. hawke

hawke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO. clancol was suggesting running the REAR speakers in series. If I were running wire I woudl wire them discreet as many receivers are starting to offer separate binding posts for the surround back speakers.

7. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I remember that running them in series is something I learnt in Physics but cannot remember what it actually entails.

Is it where you wake positive to positive and then the negatives back to each other.

Please explain in laymans terms what I need to do as its Friday and my brain cant take anymore!!!

Thanks in advance for all this info by the way......

Andy C

8. hawke

hawke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to try it, you are correct. Take the positive feed from your amp and connect it to the positive lead on the "left" rear surround speaker. Then take the negative lead from the "left" speaker and connect it to the positive lead of the "right" speaker. Finally, take the negative lead from the "right" speaker and return it to your amplifier.

If both rears are 4-ohm, they are now creating an 8-ohm load. If they were both 8-ohm, they are now creating a 16-ohm load on the receiver.

9. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi all,i must say that i used bipoles in 6.1 and was dissappointed,i like the interaction of channels,rl,rc,rr,if i can hear something in rear centre speaker i like that,then left rear and so on,i suppose personal likes,rgrds pat