Rear, Centre Speakers, Woofer and Projector

colinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my system a little as Teac AG-H550 internals are disintegrating - keeps going into protect mode on fairly low volume settings. Was a fairly simple system. Tannoy Revolution R2 floor standers at front, no Centre or main woofer and Wharfedale NXT flat panel speakers with own woofer for rears. Projector is an Infocus X1, 2001, and only 720p.
So, like the look of the Marantz NR series, probably the NR1711 to future proof. And use channels 6 and 7 for kitchen speakers instead of current speaker switch.
Room is Victorian terrace front room, say 4.5m long plus 1m deep bay window and 4m wide, 2.5m ceiling height with pull down 2m wide screen in bay window.
So, for centre should I stick with a Tannoy to match tonality??
Rears, I'll try the NXTs with the Marantz first. I'm quite tempted to find the Revolution R1s, but may not have space for them. Otherwise, the JBL Control 1 which would mount on rear wall. Gopping black though, would like to paint to blend in better. Have a pair in another room and well impressed as 2.0 speakers and various positive comments as rear speakers.
Woofer - not a clue?? Tannoy?? Don't want anything too huge.
And a 4k projector?? Bought Infocus X9, fitted elsewhere, from ProjectorPoint in 2008, they seem to know their onions.

With the centre speaker, you could try running the amp in phantom mode to see if the sound is good enough for you and the room, if not, then using a Tannoy Revolution centre is going to offer you a better pairing. For rears, you will be surprised that the rears you are planning to use should be fine. This is because you can use alternative speakers for rears without to much fuss as it's really the front three that matter as that is where the main dialogues will be heard.

For a woofer, look to a dedicated woofer company like Rel, BK Velodyne etc... these manufacturers tend to product a bigger sound for your money and will help create a more involved experience.

With the Amp, as you are aware no av receiver will ever be 100% future proof, but the NR-1711 is a good starting point as Marantz have included as much as you can get today within it's compact size.

With a projector, whats your screen size and are you looking at a native 4K or a HD projector which creates 4K via it's own technology like an Epson or Optoma?

Thanks.
Obviously tech keeps changing, but NR1711 seems as good a point as any to stop the spinning wheel!!
>For rears, you will be surprised that the rears you are planning to use should be fine.
Assume JBL C1 rather than NXTs?
Screen is 2m wide. Probably native 4k - future proof?? But decent backwards compatibility.

Try either JBL or the NXTs and see which you like the best, remember its you you are buying for and no one else

With native, you are going to be looking at JVC or Sony as they really are the only consumable native 4k projectors. All are very large compared to what you are used to, so get your tape measure out to see just how big these projectors are

Yes, I'll try both that I have at the moment. NXTs are good as pretty unobtrusive.
Current projector sits on top of a cupboard, so quite reasonable space at 80x50cm. But I guess S and J native 4K are several £1k.

The cheapest 4K model we offer is the VW320ES, this isn't the latest model, but is still a true native 4K projector. After that you are looking around the £4k - £5k mark

The machine looks good. Will it sit the right way up on top of a 1.8 m cupboard and be able to bend the the beam down onto the screen?? With my InFocus x1 I had to mount it upside down on effectively a small table I made. And InFocus x9 is also upside down on top of cupboard. I can always make something.

The projector has a good lens shift, however with every projector there is a limit. On page 9 of the manual allows you to find out if the projector will hit the screen as it has an 80% shift vertical downwards or 85% upwards as a maximum. So it will really depend upon how much of an angle is required. 80% shift is quite a lot though

Thanks. Just snapping it up. Should be just a little better than InFocus X1 - Museum anyone??

So, I reckon I'll go for the Tannoy TS2. 8 woofer. And try and to find a Revolution RC centre speaker. Following on from Shane PJ post 2, I read further comments here that the centre driver is best if same size as front speaker drivers. Both R2 and RC have 5". Otherwise current?? XTC is 4".
So interested in further comment on that.

Aahh. Just been looking at the BKE Gemini. Interesting alternative. And am partial to some flashy led displays!!
Both get good reviews. BKE is smaller, which is good, vs 2 speaker tech of TS2.8.
Which way to go??

Aahh. Just been looking at the BKE Gemini. Interesting alternative. And am partial to some flashy led displays!!
Both get good reviews. BKE is smaller, which is good, vs 2 speaker tech of TS2.8.
Which way to go??

If you have 300£ to spend get BK XLS200! Keeps the compact size, adds beefier amp and better driver from Gemini II. Quality compact woofer that packs punch for the size, Tannoy isn´t in same league.
If intrested you have chance to get new grade-b for 310£ with full warranty and in mint condition. BK has 2nd ebay site which you can contact and ask is there any XLS200 available (FF or DF in the finish you prefer). Here is the contact information:
Phone: 01702511900
Email: [email protected]

You could also consider REL HT1003 if AVO will price match this to other dealers 399£ offer! Compact sized woofer with bit more modern design to BK. REL like BK are still few names that specializes on subwoofers and i would put my money for such company.

Thanks. I read around the forum and came to the conclusion that as my room wasn't vast, 4.5 x 4 x 2.4m, the Gemini II would do. So ordered one in Cherry yesterday from the eBay store.
I guess I could call first thing Monday and try and change it?? Would it make that much difference??
Seem only to have a BK XLS200 DF on auction, currently at £142.

Thanks. I read around the forum and came to the conclusion that as my room wasn't vast, 4.5 x 4 x 2.4m, the Gemini II would do. So ordered one in Cherry yesterday from the eBay store.
I guess I could call first thing Monday and try and change it?? Would it make that much difference??
Seem only to have a BK XLS200 DF on auction, currently at £142.

Those who has heard both say there is difference, but yeah really up to you. It`s also something that may or may not come haunt you later on as you know there is one "better" model available in same size. I had Gem II for 4years. It comes down to expectations. It`s not one to rumble the room like some bigger ones would do, but if you have used some cheap boxes before i think you will be happy cause it will sound better. Clearly it will be limited what it can do regarding deep bass. Best bang for buck model would be the P12-300SB which you can find on the link below for 346£, but i assume that model is too large physically so it comes down to Gem II or XLS200, which are about same sized.

hey have channel called Colosussxb for grade-b stuff, not everything is listed there so that`s why i would call.. Not sure did you order it from here or the other one..

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks. Yup from there. And sent an email to buster000 this afternoon. Will call Mon am to investigate further. Think P12 will be just too big - not in UK at the moment so can't measure.

No BK XLS200 for a while, so sticking with Gemini II.

Think I was a little hasty getting the Sony VPL-VW320ES. Now found the VPL-VW570ES for £4800.
Think in the longer term, it might be a better deal. Luckily, I think only an hour or 2 on the 320ES lamp.
Oh dear!! Act in haste, repent at leisure 😢😢

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom