1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NickBull, Mar 19, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a Denon 2802 and need a rear speaker. I currently use Silver 7i's and a silver 12' for the front sound stage, and Boston Micro VRS as the surrounds. Do I need to match the read centre to the read surrounds? Or, will an old centre speaker do the trick? I've heared the sound quality of the matrixed centre isn't brilliant so would it justify extra expense?

I have a Paradign cc200 centre hanging arounf doing notnigh, would this suffice?

Cheers

Nick

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Ideally you would have tonally matching speakers but give the Paradigm centre a go and then change it if you dont think its suitable.

Its best to try angling the rear centre speaker down towards the listening position, if you can, as it can cause problems with the sound appearing to come from in front of you if it isnt.

You may find you have to tinker around a bit to get it sounding good.

cheers

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase, Does this mean mounting the speaker above head height, I have a 9 foot high bay window behind and then about 18 inches to the ceiling. Woudl that probably be a bit high?

Would mounting it below the window cause problems? The sill is pretty low so it would mean the speaker only being 2 to 2.5 feet from the floor!

An alternatibe would be an old floor stander right in the centre, used to be my fronts and seemed to match the Bostons quite well.

Nick

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will go with what jase said, try and keep all speakers the same brand/make.
    You may find the results disappointing using the centre, i tried this first with an old centre and found the characteristics of the speaker different to the front firing surrounds, i put this down to the centre speakers design to do different duties.

6.1 matrixed can give really good results on 5.1 soundtracks, not all of them though, but there are a few titles with discrete soundtracks, and hopefully more to come, but when you here 6.1 in is full glory it does impress.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    This is where it gets complicated!! (only joking!!)

What may suit one persons room may not work out so well in anothers. Up high may do the job (angled down), as surrounds should be above head height anyway, or it may work well low down!!

I actually tried various speakers, one of them an Infinity centre, which sounded pretty good on a table about 3 ft off the floor and pointing straight up at the ceiling.

You could always put it on the sill angled upwards as well. You really need to play around with all different positions (and speakers!!) to find the best spot.

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like I'll need to experiment! I have about 4 or 5 different types of speaker I can use, one will hopefully do the trick and sound great.

Thanks for both your help.

nick

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre i used was an old Yamaha centre the thing was clapped out, the Paradigm centre should give better results than mine, jase is right what works for one might not work for another, experiment is the key.

A handy tip......
    I had two of my friends help me with my surrounds, i attached long lengths of cable to each speaker and had them walking about with the speakers on her heads while i was sat down selecting the different chapters on the DVD. Sounds like a wind up but i assure you it's not. Does conjure up some funny moments when i look back.

Could work for you and your centre.

8. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just upgraded from a Yamaha DSP-A2 to a Denon 3802 a fortnight or so ago.

One of the main reasons was wanting all the latest sound formats i.e. DD EX and DTS ES 6.1

Wondered what you'd recommend in terms of a rear centre channel and/or an extra pair of surround along the side walls?

The home cinema room isn't exactly large at approx 16' X 12'.

Presently have B & W P6 studio monitor floorstanders for main left and right, a B & W CDM NT centre and a pair of corner wall mounted Canon V-100 wide-stereo imaging surrounds.

Picked up a pair of B & W DM 600 S3's with the intention of mounting them down the side wall directed inwards towards the seating position (sofa slightly away from back wall).

Before I started drilling holes, wondered what my best options would be please?

Thanks for your help.

Cheekster.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    As you can connect 2 sets of surround speakers to the Denon why not consider a pair of dipole or bipole speakers for movies and use the B&W DM 600´s for multichannel music.

If you havent got much space behind you then an EX/ES system might not be the best way to go. You really need at least a metre or so behind you.