Rear center

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lucky Scotsman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about adding a rear center speaker to my receiver and would like some advice first.

I currently have bipolar surround speakers, would I be best to get the same for the rear surround?

Is one or two rear speakers better?

If two is a better option, do I just double up the + & - on the receiver?

What is the correct (in anyone's oppinion) distance back from the seating positon for rear center speakers?

Thanks,

Colin

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the same make but not the same type, IMO direct radiators (bookshelf/standmounts) for the surround back channel/channels.

I run one speaker at the moment and I am very happy with the results, will be adding a second in the new year when all these decorations are down, just to see if anything can be improved.

If you only have the one terminal for the rear channel and you want to run two speakers then wire them in series, this way it won't put any unessasary load on your amp. Do not just double up.

I have my speakers about 2m from where I am seated, any closer than 1m then I think you will start to lose the effect it is try to give.

3. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for that.

Just one thing. You mention "wire them in series", I'm not familliar with this term, can you explain please?

Thanks

4. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rear center speaker is only one channel, so using two speakers won't change much. Unless your setup is in an insanely large room, then the sound would fill the room better with two speakers.

Every 6.1 receiver i've compared to mine only has the one out for the rear center as far as the speaker wire connectors go, and i've been told running two speakers off one terminal is dangerous to your amp, no matter how you wire it.

The amp I have does support a L and R rear center, but you have to use the rear center pre-out to get dual speakers, which is useless for me cause I have no use for another amp.

Oh and you should use the same speaker as your L and R surrounds if at all possible.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you wire the speakers in series no harm should come to your amp as wiring this way doubles the impedance.

[​IMG]