1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Bi-Polar's, How far back ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Montana, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    I am in the middle of my lounge conversion, and have come to a sticking point that I hadn't thought of before (DOH !).
    My rear Bi-Polar's will have to sit behind me (unfortunately not to the side) and about 7' back.My Bi-Polar's are MS 903s, and my question is a) is this to far back , and b)are my rears going to be powerful enough to supply the effects as they should do ?
    My other kit consists of Pioneer 2011 amp, Tosh sd210e dvd , Sky+, old Pioneer multi disk cd player(to be replaced !) and a really old sony 28" widescreen crt tv(about 9 years old), B&W 602s3 mains, MS 903c, Velo CHT-10.
    I hope you can help,otherwise its new rears or room movements again (Geez, I'm not looking foward to telling the wife either !!! )

Andy

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have the same rears ms903's and for about 7monthes.
    I had to have them about 2 foot behind my listing position.
    Now that i have them directly beside me i can say that Yes, it does make a difference.
    But!, i could hear all the effects and they delivered with enough power, you will need to use a spl to get them set up just right.

But if you do deside to replace, and sell let m know as i am after another pair to run as a rear center in serial

3. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    can you not put them on stands to the side of you.
    thats what i've done.
    £29.99 from argos (you would think they were made for them)

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Properly set up I would imagine they should be fine. I have my rears about a similar distance behind me and I get a fine surround experience.

You can try by ear but an SPL meter would be easier.

Chris L

5. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately Clancol I cannot have them next to me, because my seating position is in the middle of the room.Also at the moment the auto setup on the Pio amp is great so it should adjust to my listening position.For these reasons I don't want to channel out the walls for no reason , setup the rears then find out I am going to have to change things all around.
    Thanks for all you're help and any more advice would be grateful.

Andy

P.S Small flat cable recomendations, to go under carpet(across the middle of the room), and channel up the walls , would be helpful to.

6. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i use gale hyperlatz for my rears. its a flat 1.2cm wide copper cable. very flat perfect for under carpets
    its fine for rear speakers(not for front) and cost about £1.99meter,From Richer sounds. pure bargin. I think you can get 10m for £14 of the rs web site. and i think they do an better version of the same cable thats silver instead of copper.