rear base reflex speakers really soft.

formfactor

Standard Member
Reaction score
i have a little problem.

I have a sony dn1000 receiver with 5.0 sony base reflex speakers and a 42" sony lcd full hd tv.

i have the 2 rear speakers mounted up on he wall behind me.

however, the sound coming from them is really really soft.

i can go into the settings for the receiver and can adjust the "db" of each speaker.

must i put the "db" to the max on the rear speakers?

i have tried using the auto calibration tool but it does not make the rear speakers any louder.

the receiver does show that all 5 speakers are being used but you can barely hear the rear ones.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance :)

For many programes and even quite a few DVDs/BluRays there isn't much sound effects coming from the surrounds. They shouldn't be set so high that you can here them all the time, just when they are being used for effect. You can use an SPL meter to check the speaker levels using the amp's test tone (around £30 from Maplins I think) but chances are you'll find they're already higher than they should be as it seems a natural tendancy for new owners to want to crank up the settings (similar with the sub) so they can hear what they've paid for. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

I think the problem is that the rear speakers are quite high up on the wall behind me.

at least 9 feet high.

i think that might be a problem...

does anyone know what the "db" stands for in the audio sound settings for a dn1000 receiver?

I thought by increasing the db value of the rear speakers, it would make it louder but i noticed the db value of the front speakers is set to zero but they are super loud?

Also, can anyone give any advice on optimum bass and treble settings in the equalizer and how it works?

Is there a guide i can follow?

The 'db' setting should be the level for that speaker. You may need to lower the fronts and raise the rears if they really are that different. Can you select a test noise that goes through each speaker at a time? If so you should listen in your usual seat to see if this 'hiss' noise sounds equal for each speaker (ideally you'd use an SPL meter, but you should be able to get reasonably close by ear).

FWIW my surrounds are high up: The sides are just below the ceiling as one is above a patio door opening and the rears are similar. I think it helps give a more difuse sound especially with ordinary Prologic II effects from stereo sources like TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom