Question Rear atmos speaker position R1 or R2

Gerry557

Established Member
Reaction score
When installing x4 atmos speakers what are the pros and cons of Rear 1 position over Rear 2 position

I know ideally, the rears should be a lot further back and the other side of the window, so not an option. Also there is a ceiling joist that prevents R1 from being any further back. The MLP is approx 1m from the back wall.

R1 is easier to fit, no boundary issues with rear wall but slightly in front of the MLP. R2 is just behind the MLP but would then entail having atmos speakers at different heights as the R2's would be slightly lower than the fronts.

What would be "lost" by using R1 instead of only slightly rearward R2? The distance would only be approx 2 feet between the two different positions. This would be on a 5.1 base line so no rear speakers.

Thoughts or experiences?

Atmos speaker locations.jpg

To clarify, that white square is your right surround speaker? And is that a white subwoofer and is it your only subwoofer?
If so, would there be some merit in going for front Atmos/height but enhancing the rear with surround backs? You have nothing to "move the sound past you" - sorry just being irritating ;o)

Hi @Christian1975. Yes that is the right surround and I have dual subs, so sorry 5.2.

No you are not being irritating, My initial thoughts would be where to put rears as the window is quite large so the only place available would be under the windowsill either side of the radiator. On the low side and firing into the back of the sofa hence why I went with a 5,1 option not 7.1. Also there are little fingers that like to play behind the sofa space so would need to be quite thin. If the gap behind was larger I would have gone 7.1

The AV amp wont fire the extra rear channels with 4 atmos but I did consider using another stereo amp in HT bypass mode for the mains and music as the AV amp will process 7.2.4 or extra power amp for 2 more speakers. I could do that though with either R1 or R2 position
"You have nothing to "move the sound past you"" that was my concern in using R1 but would R2 make that much difference.

Rear 2 as you have to have the rear Atmos behind you. If you are getting speakers with angled tweeters then have them firing towards the MLP to avoid being influenced by the rear wall.

Thanks @gibbsy but R2 is only slightly rear compared to the Dolby specs.

How much "disadvantage" would there be to using R1. Thinking of a helicopter circling around you, ideally you would be in the centre. In my examples it would be circling just in front of your face or mainly in front of you with your ears on the diameter or that circle.

Does that 2 foot difference make a "BIG" difference or just a slight improvement.

Most recommend x2 atmos for a sofa against a back wall. Mine has been moved forward to give a meter or so to allow for having the extra speakers. Again there is a thought that generally, more atmos is better than less.

I might try a picture of what I'm trying to explain, it might make it clearer.

Could you not just put surround backs on the window ledge or would that not be pretty enough? I have the issue in our lounge where the main sofa is against the back wall. It seems a shame that you've made the sacrifice to move the sofa forward to swallow floor area in the room but then don't get the advantage of a creepy monster popping up behind you saying "boo!" ;o)

If you were tight against the wall with the sofa then x4 would not work. You are on the margin I would say, taking the sofa forward a foot could make a difference. I do get good rearward effects just using two KEF R50s as the surrounds will also play their part in object movement.

Four will always be better, even slightly compromised. If you can move the sofa then it improves again.

Could you not just put surround backs on the window ledge or would that not be pretty enough? I have the issue in our lounge where the main sofa is against the back wall. It seems a shame that you've made the sacrifice to move the sofa forward to swallow floor area in the room but then don't get the advantage of a creepy monster popping up behind you saying "boo!" ;o)

No the window ledge isn't an option. The blind will drop down and cover it and or interfere with operation. Probably in the way when opening windows too never mind little fingers.

I like the idea of the monster saying boo but its the atmos speaker position advice I need most/first.

If you were tight against the wall with the sofa then x4 would not work. You are on the margin I would say, taking the sofa forward a foot could make a difference. I do get good rearward effects just using two KEF R50s as the surrounds will also play their part in object movement.

Four will always be better, even slightly compromised. If you can move the sofa then it improves again.

Are you saying, have some rear surrounds and then it doesnt matter really about R1 or R2 issue?

Are you saying, have some rear surrounds and then it doesnt matter really about R1 or R2 issue?
What I've found is that some, not all, audio that is portrayed over the head is continued, or even starts with the surrounds. That is what makes an Atmos arrangement so good, it simply envelopes you in sound. Correctly configured and placed 5/7.1.2 can and does sound really good. However a 7.1.4 is the dogs...........well you know what I mean.

With a little moving of furniture I could accommodate a 7.1.4 but the wife's having none of it. Four is always going to be better than two.

This is my concern regarding speaker positions. Forgetting rear sound speaker options for a moment and that although more is better than less. Is that the yellow R1 position will be drastically worse than R2 blue position.

If it does, then will rear speakers be needed even with my limited space?

The plan was always to be a 5.1 not 7.1 base layer due to lack of rear space and an extra x2 channels of power required which I dont currently have spare on my AVR. HTbypass or extra power amp would solve the latter issue.

Also would the circles be more to the left obviously the sound wont go past the rear wall.
Atmos speakers.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom