realtek runs my Sub as centre/subwoofer, Is this going to harm it?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bkslave, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bkslave

bkslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Yo! Hey peps, Im using realtek on a 7.1 onboard with ALC888 codec (asrock esata2 mobo). Im running my Mordaunt Short Avant 309i into the centre/subwoofer port and my pc speakers are in "front spk out". Now im having to run it on 6CH to get tha sub on (can't find a 2.1 patch) so im loosing sound to the rear and side but thats not my issue. Realtek is running the centre through the sub? Its treating them as the same thing, the volume control for either will kill the sound if bottomed out neither appears dominant? Ive looked into other 7.1 and 5.1 sound cards all seem to use this centre/sub port.......but will it hurt it? Its set to only re-produce sound below 90hz so im thinking if guitar or vocal comes through (obv' it does) only playing low levels it should be fine but id be lying if i said i wasnt quite worried im sure ive heard the odd faint 'spitter' hope you can help thanx!

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    feeding a sub with output from the centre will do it no harm. the sub will barely output it so don't worry.

however, you might consider another option:
    split the output from your soundcard front to feed your front speakers and your sub. this way you don't lose the output from the centre to your sub and the rears to nowhere. you can buy splitters from places like Maplin.

HTH

3. bkslave

bkslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ey! Thank you real fast reply. I really appreciate it.Im gonna take your advice on that m8 nice one! :clap: