Realtek RTD1073 Hacking & Flashing

next010

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
**Warning for those throwing caution to the wind only**

I thought a dedicated thread might be handy for anyone interested in messing about with their 1073 player. Granted you may break it from reading anything here so if at all worried dont do anything mentioned in this thread.

This website is an excellent resource in tracking various 1073 players.

In particular given that there are many 1073 players on the market some with a better GUI than others but also release and forget players coming out from small resellers with no firmware support at all.

I've basically been attempting to flash other 1073 firmwares to mine (AC Ryan PlayOn HD) with varying degrees of success and here are some of my findings.

The firmwares most likely to work on 1073 players are ones which are similar in the first place in other words if the player can take an internal hard drive then the firmware from another 1073 player with an internal HD stands a good chance of working.

1073 players that dont have an internal HD option dont seem to work on those that do. Also the size of the flash ram in important as some players dont have the same amount so you cannot flash.

Three things generally happen when you attempt to flash a firmware
1) The firmware installs normally
2) The firmware will try to flash then state a yaffes error (means not enough flash RAM)
3) The firmware has a built in checker and wont flash to other 1073 hardware (increasingly common on latest firmwares from certain players).

In the event of 2 or 3 you can still flash other firmware back to the 1073.

What firmwares work on the AC Ryan PlayOn-HD
Datage HDPro
Firmware is chinese/english stock Realtek GUI but firmware version is one of the latest builds v7.1.2.3 r2404. Also has several more options in Misc menu along with FTP support.

Fantec MM-FHDL
Stock Realtek GUI nice home screen, also has LCD orientation option, firmware is v7.0.3 r2228.

IcyBox IB-MP305A-B
Stock Realtek GUI, firmware version is v7.1.2 r2424

What doesn't work with playonhd
Asus O!Play (yaffes error)
Mede8er (firmware checker)
Seagate Theatre+ (yaffes error)
Labo 110 (yaffes error)
E-Great EG-R1 (yaffes error)
Eminent EM7080 (firmware checker)

How to force flash
1) Copy the firmware onto a USB flash drive formatted with FA32.
2) Pull the power from the player and plug in the flash drive.
3) Press and hold down the players power button keeping it pressed.
4) Push in the power cable and keep holding down the power button.
5) eventually a blue firmware flash screen should appear after which you can let go of the power button.
6) The firmware flash is automated so it either works or doesn't.

Happy hacking.

Anyone else feel free to post their results or hacks they know off, may be useful for owners of abandoned RTD1073 players.

Last edited:
Three things generally happen when you attempt to flash a firmware
1) The firmware installs normally
2) The firmware will try to flash then state a yaffes error (means not enough flash RAM)
3) The firmware has a built in checker and wont flash to other 1073 hardware (increasingly common on latest firmwares from certain players).

In the event of 2 or 3 you can still flash other firmware back to the 1073.

There is a 4th scenario that I found out to my cost!

4) Firmware flashes ok but renders your remote control useless!

I have an e-great EG-R1 that I mucked about with in this way. There isn't an on/off switch that you push and hold to force a flash, only a toggle switch.
Luckily I found out that the reset switch is on the circuit board so all was well.

It would be useful for some brave people to make a list of machines, and the firmware that can be installed.

Andy.

Thanks for the info Stinger69 yeah I have noticed the remote some buttons dont work quite right if they mapped differently but the firmware flash requires no remote input so you should always be able to fall back.

rick19011 I dont know there are plenty of other Realtek chips out there some inteded for TV set top boxes or other purposes I have seen wikis and other info related to them.

This is really just about the 1073 so it keeps things simple as attempting to flash a firmware from a 1073 to a different Realtek chip will kill your player or so I've read.

I personally have IcyBox IB-MP305A-B. Tried many firmwares, currently using Astone ap-100, but don't even try to use it unless you have a universal remote like Logitech Harmony, since it has completely different remote codes than ACRyan or Icy Box. Although it has worst user interface (ugly and extremely slow), everything with that firmware works "out of the box" with my player - NAS, torrents, subtitles look great etc.

As for the point 3) - if there is a checker only for installation, it can be hacked as explained in Icy Box thread. Unfortunately, Mede8er's firmware has further checkers - I managed to install it, but when it boots, the other checker pops in. And it looks most promising of all firmwares.

Thanks for the info Stinger69 yeah I have noticed the remote some buttons dont work quite right if they mapped differently but the firmware flash requires no remote input so you should always be able to fall back.
Unfortunately my firmware flash required either remote input or the "secret" switch on the circuit board (short points with something metal!) but for most players you're right.
I hope this thread gathers some momentum though because it could be really useful!

Andy

Mvix 800HD & Sumvision MKV Enclosure seem identical.

Has anyone tried cross flashing or maybe AC Ryan firmware on budget Sumvision MKV Enclosure.

I think all the firmwares should be available - the ACRyan's is Linux based and so must be available to download under the GPL. (if not, contact the FSF to advise them of their legal obligations).

ACRyan and IcyBox's source code is available from wikidot. Kudos to both of those manufacturers for releasing it.

I think all the firmwares should be available - the ACRyan's is Linux based and so must be available to download under the GPL. (if not, contact the FSF to advise them of their legal obligations).

ACRyan and IcyBox's source code is available from wikidot. Kudos to both of those manufacturers for releasing it.

Cheers for the info gbjbaanb.

I have received my Sumvion MKV Enclosure today. :clap:

Unfortunatelly, I don't think they released complete source. Main application (DVD player) is still proprietary, AFAIK (didn't check it, though - found this info on forums).

is there any opportunity to get a selfmade firmware? any cute home developers here?

i saw the user interface of westerndigital media player and want to have a similar one on my fantec mm-fhdl.
:lease:

Hey Guys

I just tried flashing the latest ACRyan firwmware to the Cyclone MKV Adaptor (non HD) V2... installs fine and displays the menu but then has a nice big grey banner stating "Incorrect Hardware!" no surprises there ;)

Posting this here in case anyone has an answer.

I upgraded my MKV V2 (DTS enabled) adapter with the seagate theatre+ firmware. I had read about using the emergency firmware update method (ie hold power button whilst inserting power) but this did not start the flash update (Kept holding button until the main menu appeared 20-30 seconds) So I decided to use the menu option to upgrade. Upgrade appeared to work fine and it reported upgrade succesfull, but on reboot I am just looking at the logo..
nqbndj.jpg

Have tried to reflash the origonal firmware but as the emergency process does not seem to work for some reason and I cannot get into the menu I'm pretty stuck. Anyone any ideas? does the mobo have a reset jumper? I've tried both USB ports and 3 different USB drives but keeping the power button pressed whilst inserting power and keeping it pressed (have tried over 2 mins at times) just doesnt seem to help.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Not really sure what's the problem. Maybe not-working power button? Can you return it to your seller? If not, then you might try to remove the cover and search for the reason why the power button is not working (if you're brave enough, even short circuit the power switch connectors, if you find them).

One information, before you do anything: we're talking about the power button on the device itself, not on the remote. Pressing the remote's power button won't do the trick.

Not really sure what's the problem. Maybe not-working power button? Can you return it to your seller? If not, then you might try to remove the cover and search for the reason why the power button is not working (if you're brave enough, even short circuit the power switch connectors, if you find them).

One information, before you do anything: we're talking about the power button on the device itself, not on the remote. Pressing the remote's power button won't do the trick.

Yep, were talking about the power button on the front. The power button works ie if I press it when its on standby (red light) it powers on and turns blue, and when I keep it pressed it when its blue it turns the unit off and goes red. It just doesnt seem to invoke the upgrade routine :-S

Tough one. Out of ideas. The only thing you can do is to try more sticks (maybe some small ones, 1GB or less, formatted to FAT). Or, you could try with the SD card, if it has a slot for it (I think it does).

Yeah me too, hence the posts. I have tried at least 4 USB drives rangeing from 1Gb - 8Gb (and yep SD slot too). I've even had the thing apart to see if there was any jumper points on the mobo to allow a fw flash, but nada. I do think this one maybe a lost cause.

I'm interested if anyone with a Mk2 Adapter has ever done a succesfull FW flash using this method?

Sorry, m8. :(

Yeah me too, hence the posts. I have tried at least 4 USB drives rangeing from 1Gb - 8Gb (and yep SD slot too). I've even had the thing apart to see if there was any jumper points on the mobo to allow a fw flash, but nada. I do think this one maybe a lost cause.

I'm interested if anyone with a Mk2 Adapter has ever done a succesfull FW flash using this method?

Nope, I had exactly the same experience after my foolish flashing of AC Ryan firmware!!! Opened it up and shorted the switch, tried for hours to get it going again but nothing worked, tried shorting a few of the other jumpers on the board to but no success :(

In the end I had to stop it booting into the AC Ryan Firmware (so I could return it :rolleyes: ) which I did by enabling WS and WE (to 3.3v I think the datasheet for the NAND is easy to find) which then just left me with the splash screen you have there. Looks like it flashed an unreadable firmware and the interupt its listening for on startup isn't the power switch.

Sorry this wasn't more helpful, Let us know if you do manage to recover the adaptor, Im sure it will be useful to know for future tests.

EBSef.jpg

4hnta.jpg

Nice news, I bought ViewSonic VMP70 last summer but it still with no firmware updates.

Does anyone try to update the VMP70 with those firmware ? I am so scarred to be the first one on it :D

There is a serial pin header on the board ( 115200 8-n-1), where you can connect an UART serial adapter. From the serial console, you should see boot messages.

There is a 4th scenario that I found out to my cost!

4) Firmware flashes ok but renders your remote control useless!

I have an e-great EG-R1 that I mucked about with in this way. There isn't an on/off switch that you push and hold to force a flash, only a toggle switch.
Luckily I found out that the reset switch is on the circuit board so all was well.

It would be useful for some brave people to make a list of machines, and the firmware that can be installed.

Andy.

Hi That's what I got after flashing my player with yaffs firmware, I have this screen and can't control with remote.

Also tried to force flashing with old firmware but procedure don't work: when I push power button and plug power chord the players boots directly even if I keep pressing power button and doesn't leave me downgrade the firmware.

Any other way to force firmware upgrade ?

Attachments

• Snapshot_20100921_160235.jpg
    Snapshot_20100921_160235.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,134
Hi That's what I got after flashing my player with yaffs firmware, I have this screen and can't control with remote.

Also tried to force flashing with old firmware but procedure don't work: when I push power button and plug power chord the players boots directly even if I keep pressing power button and doesn't leave me downgrade the firmware.

Any other way to force firmware upgrade ?

If you can connect to the console header pins, you should interrupt boot sequence (keep esc pressed) and issue "erase -m".

On the next reboot, it will search for and update the firmware from USB key.

Sorry for my low experience, do you have a picture of the header to short ?

No, I don't...
I can open my box again tonight and take a picture of the header/pins.

Btw, it is a UART connection (ttl levels) so you need a ttl->rs232 converter.

Rgds,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom