1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realmagic Xcard

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Baggy69, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got an Xcard but i think i may have got the wrong card so can someone advise me before i fit it. I got it for the component output so i can connect it directly to my tv and get rid of my monitor completly. Having done a little more reading up about it, it looks like it will only output dvd over the component when i want it to display my desktop and everything. So is this card anygood for me??? And if not, does anyone know of a card that does what i want???
    Thanks Ian.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    It will do component out completely on its own. As soon as you select component out in the software it display your DVD on your tv.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    If you want to use component, then the only option I know of is to get a Radeon graphics card (eg. a 9x00 card), and configure it for a resolution of 720x576 50hz progressive signal (or a widescreen 1024x576 resolution might work too). You will need to download the powerstrip software to do this. Standard windows resolutions/refresh rates will not work, and could even damage the television, so take care. You will also need to buy/make a suitable VGA to component cable. You should be able to find guides about doing this on the internet. But be warned, it is quite difficult to get it all working correctly. Don't take my word for this, because I haven't done it myself - I'd recommend researching it a bit more on the internet before ordering the card!

Also there was a thread a while back about configuring VGA to scart RGB using a Radeon. However this is an interlaced signal - not progressive. But many of the principals are the same, and so you may want to do a forum search.

(ps. I believe you are correct regarding the xcard only doing DVD).

4. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info, well it looks like there will be a Xcard unused in the for sale section :clown: