1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really weird amp problem.......

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by buns, Jul 9, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well to me it is really weird! I have a lovely shiny new stereo amp.....made by Korato who I know you dont know of! It is a dual mono tube pre and power supply and class A huuuugggee power amp....

The problem, my young sister plays her music on her boom boxxy affair....and guess what.....I get the same signal being played through my speakers, yet there are no connections to her music. So where am I getting this from? Is it coming through the mains?

thanks guys!

ad

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Oh really :D

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    .......but it aint much ****ing good if every quiet moment echoes withthe snowy sound of westlife.......grrrrrrr

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so no one knows anything about amps?

5. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm guessing here, but there are 2 possible routes that the interference is getting to your amp:
    1. RF ie through the air (a common problem with BBC micros many years ago) or
    2. via the mains cable (if the boom box is plugged into the mains)

If the boom box is plugged into the mains, try using it via the batterys to see if
    this cures the problem.

Have you tried a different power amp to identify where the problem is? Ie if the problem goes with a different power amp, then the its either the power amp or the speaker cable picking up the interference.

You don't mention what source you are listning to. Is it a turntable ? Also is the
    interference consistent whatever the source ?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the reply.....

I had a play today. I the boom box from the equation by unplugging it, but the signal remains.

It is not specific to the circuit i am using since i tried 2 other methods including a spur from the mains, still i had my noise. It is present when all the rest of the system is off......just whenever i turn the amp on, i get an amplifier hum, a snowy sound through the speakers and the radio signal (which in case it matters is clearly radio 1).

To complete the detail, the problem is less when only one or other of the power or pre and power supply are on, when both are on the problem is greatest.

I talked to russ andrews, they said that their things would merely clear out the snow......but the radio signal would remain, so is that right?

How come this is only happening now that the amplifier is changed?

The only other simple thing i can imagine is that there is some sort of lacking in the earthing.....but i dont quite know how to test this!

all help much apreciated!

ad

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well.......if anyone is interested.......the problem is not a problem. I have inadvertantly gone rather high end with the amp and it simply wont tolerate the mess of stray fields, crappy mains heat or barometric presure due to the rest of the system in the cupboard.....relocation helped alot! apparently this is the joy of high end.......

Ad

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds remarkable, had a friend with a Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500, when they were new, his nightly tales of mechanical hiccups over pints of Guinness were legend. Almost as if he enjoyed the shortcomings in some perverse way, but when it's running right it's fantastic....

It's amazing what these esoteric brands get away with, if competing at Richer Sounds money they would just be returned as defective.
    Ah... but the sound is fantastic, sorry buns, not having a pop at your Isao Tomito, enjoy the performance...

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think this is the audio equivilant of whether you want to use a scaler or an hcpc!

I am having wonderful fun playing.....you wouldnt beleive the amount of emi and RF that is removed by using a braided speaker cable configuration!

Ad