• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Really Tiny Book Light for use with Kindle 3

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
I thought I'd do a mini-review of a new gadget to accompany my Kindle: A reading light.

This one is called the Really Tiny Book Light. I had a wonder through town and looked through most of the carousels around the counters in shops where they sell these specific lights for books and came across quite a few. Most of them are designed for paper based books and are therefore quite bulky. On top of this, they are designed to light up to about 5-6" or so (a page of a standard book). I wanted a light that illuminated down to the bottom of the keyboard on the Kindle

Wax Off:
p1020846f.jpg

Wax On:
p1020847v.jpg

Despite my poor photography skills, it actually lights up the whole Kindle, all the way down to the bottom of the keyboard as I wanted.
It's also the smallest one I found and the lightest, so it doesn't "weigh" down the already light Kindle 3 in use.
2 Cons include the fact that it was one of the most expensive around (£7 although you can get it online for £5 or less) and that it also is not really designed to work with a Kindle. Looking at the piccies below, the clip has a narrow gap for clipping onto the back of a book cover. However, looking at the second piccie above shows that despite this, it still manages to hold on securely with no danger of falling off during normal reading.
Having said that, I might try and find a way to rig a better clip onto it specifically because I am using it with a Kindle (if I do, I'll post up my results here).

Here are some more piccies showing how small it is and in detail:

p1020849g.jpg

p1020848s.jpg

p1020851e.jpg

p1020850o.jpg

Overall it's not designed for e-readers but has the brightest light in the smallest, lightest form factor…..so I'd give it a 8/10

emo72

Established Member
thanks for that review. i just got my kindle and have to get one.can you post a link to an online retailer?

planeteclectica

Standard Member
Excellent review. Not sure I can understand that the Kindle isn't readable in the dark? Surely this is a bit of a crucial flaw?
Having been a Mac user for seven years now, maybe I'm just too used to Apples' attention to detail!
I should add that I do not have an iPad either!

Mike Valentine

echrada

Banned
Excellent review. Not sure I can understand that the Kindle isn't readable in the dark? Surely this is a bit of a crucial flaw?
Having been a Mac user for seven years now, maybe I'm just too used to Apples' attention to detail!
I should add that I do not have an iPad either!

Mike Valentine

The fact that it does not have back lighting is actually a plus for all readers as it makes it easy on the eyes and you can read for hours on end with no problem. The point of e ink is that it should feel like reading printed paper to the eyes, therefore no back lighting.

The really tiny little light is therefore an excellent source of light and extremely cheap if you do not want to splurge the cash for the Kindle light.

pandemic

Prominent Member
Looks a great product, but in my opinion let down by the fact it uses button batteries. I would have preferred the more accessible AAA cell tbh.

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Looks a great product, but in my opinion let down by the fact it uses button batteries. I would have preferred the more accessible AAA cell tbh.

True, but 1 AAA weighs more than the 3 LR41's the light uses.

BTW, thank you for mentioning this because it's reminded me to add a little update :):

I left the light in my bag for when I had a quiet period on night shift and it accidentaly turned on (note to self - they're easy to turn on, especially in a bag). So now the batts have run down (running for about 11-12hrs in my bag :().
Problem is I'm finding it hard to source them (as Pandemic says, they're not as accessible as the more regular batts). They are LR41 (aka AG3) batteries and no, the pound shop doesn't sell 'em in blister packs either :D.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
True, but 1 AAA weighs more than the 3 LR41's the light uses.

BTW, thank you for mentioning this because it's reminded me to add a little update :):

I left the light in my bag for when I had a quiet period on night shift and it accidentaly turned on (note to self - they're easy to turn on, especially in a bag). So now the batts have run down (running for about 11-12hrs in my bag :().
Problem is I'm finding it hard to source them (as Pandemic says, they're not as accessible as the more regular batts). They are LR41 (aka AG3) batteries and no, the pound shop doesn't sell 'em in blister packs either :D.

Hope this helps if your still struggling to get them £1.62 for 10

10 X GP AG3 192 LR41 Alkaline batteries Strip of 10: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Moor

Established Member
Picked one of these up yesterday and was very impressed with the light output from such a small device. I had a bulkier single led light before which was pretty rubbish so I was sceptical about this despite the good reviews, I was pleasantly surprised though, thanks for bringing to our attention gaffer.

mich

Standard Member
Really nice product indeed. I was wondering when they start using better, more powerful LEDs for these mini-lights. Usually they include a low-power LED, but this one looks like at least an SMD power. Even if it uses more energy, it is worth it if you get a decent light.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom