1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really thinking of buying a projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jjcool, Aug 2, 2004.

1. jjcool

jjcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at the moment i have a zenith 50" rptv,

im really thinking of buying a projector, but as ive never owned one im not 100% sure,

the things that really put me off projectors from what ive heard is:

to get a good picture you have to be in darkness, and also the prices of them lamps

is there any projector avalible with cheap replacment bulbs?

id would ideally like a 90" or 100" screen, but even then i heard viewing a 100" screen the picture would be very blocky?

im new to all this, but this is what i heard off a guy.

anyone comment?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,490
    Was this guy a RPTV salesman??

Firstly projectors are best in darkness, some will still give a good picture in lighter rooms, but its not the sort of thing you will be able to watch in a room filled with bright sunshine. The important spec to look out for is the projectors ansi lumens figure. The higher this is the lighter the room can be before you can't see the image aswell.

Yes the lamps are expensive to replace, usually about £300. But most lamps with care will last about 2-3000 hours, I think?

My AE-100 projector gives an excellent picture and this has now been superceded by the AE-200,300,500 etc.
    I saw a demo of the AE-500 the other day and thought it was excellent. Very quiet too.

The blockyness your friend mentioned is caused by the panels that make up the LCD image (i think?, this is the limit of my techincal knowledge on this so I could be wrong!). Mine is projecting on an similary large screen and you only really notice the panels when you go very close to the screen. Normal watching distance and you would not see them.

If you go the projector route I am sure you will be more than happy. The most popular models on these forums seem to be the Panasonics.

Cheers
    Greg

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Best of both worlds - a projector for true home theatre purposes - movies etc (and maybe some sports) and a smallish TV for routine programme viewing (news, soaps, other "dross").

A projector is not an ideal tool for brief switching on and off (ie frequent short periods of use) as this will tend to prematurely age the bulb - and, as you say, replacements do come at a price. So, consider a projector as the route to home theatre - you wouldn't visit a theatre to watch "Friends", would you?

For movie viewing a large screen is unsurpassable. If you are looking at LCD or DLP - choose one with a higher number of pixels - this will minimise the visibility of the structure on the screen. The mentioned Panasonic PTAE500 has a structure of 1280x720 which is about the minimum I'd recommend. The pixel structure from this is practically invisible at sensible viewing distance (read about 1.5 x the width of the screen). I strongly recommend choosing a projector with a 16x9 native ratio.

As for ambient light - the darker, the better, always. When was the last time you went to a theatre which had a high ambient light level? How did the trailers and advetts look, while the house lights were still on? Even with the hugely powerful arc lamps they use.... Another reason for also having a smallish TV.