really stupid sky+ install Q

pickle

Standard Member
Reaction score
im an exsisting customer and wish to get sky+ while keeping my old digibox active. part of the online offer for free installation and only £10/month for a mirror subscription is that you 'relocate your exsisting digibox'

do i have to physically relocate the exsisting box? what im wanting to do is keep the exsisting box where it is, and have sky+ installed elsewhere in the house. i presume the engineer that will come to install it will be able to do this, am i correct?

i know this is a stupid question, but the girl on skys customer servce line couldnt seem to comprehend what i was wanting to do, repeating 'when you relocte your exsisting digibox you will receive £5 off your monthly second subscription' over and over :rolleyes:

thanks in advance :)

Just semantics:)
Most people will replace the existing digibox ( probably in the lounge ) with the SKY+ and "relocate" the digibox to a bedroom.
It really does not make any practical difference if the SKY+ goes into a new location and the existing digibox is kept where it is.
The installer will have no problems either way.

Don't forget both boxes will need a connection to the same phone line to comply with the £10 a month second smartcard T&C's.

thanks for the quick reply. thats what i expected, pity the woman in the call centre couldnt just say that :rolleyes:

Same question really, getting sky + on Monday wanting to keep existing box in the same place downstairs but want Sky + upstairs in my bedroom. I have a phoneline downstair + upstairs that I use for the broadband.

Should there be any problems.

Not quite sure what you mean, but for 2 new subscriptions (+ & mirror) you need a phone for each box. Of course without their discounts then you don't need the phone. Ie get a box not discounted from Sky, & get the 2nd subscription probably not discounted mirror, & you don't need the phone line I believe. I understand the cheap mirror only applies to phone connected boxes.

Originally posted by rawowl
Same question really, getting sky + on Monday wanting to keep existing box in the same place downstairs but want Sky + upstairs in my bedroom. I have a phoneline downstair + upstairs that I use for the broadband.

Should there be any problems.

As long as the two phone connections share a common line then that's not a problem. When SKY check the location of the two smartcards they have to be in the same place and if they are both using the same phone line/number then that's as good a security measure you can get within the limits of the technology. Don't use ADSL myself but I believe a microfilter is used to allow a phoneline to be used for both broadband and analogue modem use (or voice) so using that phone connection should not be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom