1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really struggling with the whole audio part of my plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by simon33, Oct 19, 2005.

1. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided to go for the Panny PW8. It's been a little bit extra work than my original intention of buying an all-in-one television, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

I only want to use headphones with my panel for the time being. I invested in a really good set a year or so ago and I love using them. The trouble is, I gather I need to buy an expensive amp to use them. I was recommended to buy one of the following by Joe Fernand (thanks!), and was just wondering if you guys could help me out before I make a mistake..!

http://www.boomerangsounds.co.uk/product.php?xProd=685

I gather that the 'headtap' requires two inputs:

Instrument Input: Dual parallel 1/4” stereo/mono input jacks

Could anyone tell me what kind of connections these are, and if they're compatible with the flat spring-clip connectors on the PW8?!

Many thanks in advance - any help really is greatly appreciated!

2. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon

looking at the link you sent their are two 1/4 inch jack inputs for the speaker connections.
    So what you need in addition is 2 cables with a 1/4 male jack connector, ideally conneted to one end only on each cable
    With the bare cable end without plug (if it has plug on both ends cut one off), at the end of each bared cable end there will be two connection wires. Connect one end to the red terminal on the speaker connection the other to the black.
    Do the same again with the other speaker cable on the other set of speaker terminals.

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Simon,

Speak to Joe in the morning! Beware other advice.

4. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your replies.

I'm beginning to think I've got this the wrong way round. I have always thought the following was the best decision:

dvd player, freeview, consoles etc. >> Plasma >> audio out

From what I've been reading it seems best to grab the audio -before- it reaches the plasma, a bit like this:

dvd player, freeview, consoles etc. >> audio (speakers or something) >> Plasma

Am I talking rubbish?! :suicide:

5. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no you are making sense

if the dvd player etc has an audio output you could connect you speakers their, which would be much simpler and probably better quality sound. However not many dvd players or sky receivers have a head phone socket.
    Having said that even if they did, you would have to unpug and replug the headphones every time you switched between the sky and dvd.

By connecting you headphones to the plasma, each time you switch between dvd and sky, you will automatically get the right audio without having to switch plugs.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a headphone amp...Ive never used one myself but it might be a better alternative to an expensive intergrated amp and worth looking into Simon